Question on flow

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32g biocube and am currently only running the return pump (mighty jet 536 using sine wave at 2.1, lowest setting). I purchased another powerhead to get more flow but I’ve been hesitant to put it in mainly due to my clown. He seems to have a hard time swimming in the tank and he sleeps next to the return, where the flow is the least (I do know they aren’t good swimmers and he is a little guy - maybe 1.25”). He spends no time in my rockwork - he’s always in the water column fighting the current.

Throw it in and he’ll adapt? Or since it’s a small tank it has enough flow? My corals are all currently low/medium flow (Duncan, mushrooms, open brain, zoa)

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell you what will happen if you put it in. Best advice I have is put the other head in the tank and see what happens. You can pull it out or adjust it if its to much.

I run one in the lower back corner of my tanks blowing behind the rock work at a low speed.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell you what will happen if you put it in. Best advice I have is put the other head in the tank and see what happens. You can pull it out or adjust it if its to much.

I run one in the lower back corner of my tanks blowing behind the rock work at a low speed.
That’s exactly where I want to put it. I don’t think I can adjust the flow but it’s a slower pump: Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6015 - rated at 475 gph.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly where I want to put it. I don’t think I can adjust the flow but it’s a slower pump: Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6015 - rated at 475 gph.
Oh no, I wasn't telling you to put it there. Just saying my extras end up in the back corners to improve back tank flow without disturbing the middle flow. Was just a idea for you. Not a instruction.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, I wasn't telling you to put it there. Just saying my extras end up in the back corners to improve back tank flow without disturbing the middle flow. Was just a idea for you. Not a instruction.
I actually bought it to get more flow behind the rock work.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a trick for mine, if the flow is to much I will put a rock along side it to reduce some of/direct the flow.

I surrounded this one on the top to cut down on the flow rising and the front side to direct it behind the back or the rock work.

1A6904A4-C6E5-444A-8BDE-5AB72CF43CF1.jpeg

Bubbythebull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a lot of sps in there, an additional wavemaker isn't necessary. If you must add one..ad a baby nano one

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up adding the powerhead to the tank. My clown actually seems to like it. I've spotted him playing in it a bit, and I've also found him swimming more around the tank instead of staying in a relatively small spot (though that could have more to do with his friendship with my royal gramma - they've been swimming together more and more lately).

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back