question on setting up my 1st aquarium

Zó179

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it going? ok so I have question. I have a I.M. nuvo fusion 20 gallon. I was wondering if i can start cycling my tank with just live sand (Caribsea arag-alive) and add my dry live rock (20 lbs of pukani) 3 OR 4 days from when i set the aquarium up. the reason is because I ordered my rocks online and it won't get here until thursday (01APRIL2018). i have everything i need to start cycling except the dry live rocks. Can i start or do I have to wait?

i wrote this post on 25FEBUARY2018

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it going? ok so I have question. I have a I.M. nuvo fusion 20 gallon. I was wondering if i can start cycling my tank with just live sand (Caribsea arag-alive) and add my dry live rock (20 lbs of pukani) 3 OR 4 days from when i set the aquarium up. the reason is because I ordered my rocks online and it won't get here until thursday (01APRIL2018). i have everything i need to start cycling except the dry live rocks. Can i start or do I have to wait?

i wrote this post on 25FEBUARY2018
My advice.........slow down and take your time. Im sure you're excited to get it up and running, just as I was [emoji846] but,
if you cut corners ie: try to speed up the cycle, add fish too fast etc. You are going to be disappointed. I would do it right and take your time from the start and do ALOT of research. Research the types of fish and corals you want, compatibility with each other, feeding, algae and pests and how to remove them etc. The list can almost go on forever. IMO the more prepared your are the better off you'll be. I'm new also. My tank is 7 months old and I feel my tank is just starting to mature a bit and won't be fully established for months to come. Take your time, ask lots of questions, and enjoy the adventure of creating a small ocean ecosystem and all the beauty you will get in return.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add sand first and than rock for one basic reason. Some fish and plenty of inverts burrow. If your rock is sitting on a layer of sand burrowing may make it move, slide and even fall. If the rock is siting firm on the bottom and than sand is added around it this can be avoided.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as above there is a saying in reefing "nothing good happens fast" and it is honestly one of the most important things. And something no matter how long you've been doing it need to constantly remind yourself of. Setting it up take it slow get it right from the start makes life easier down the track. Your first issue stop walk away search the forum ask a question and make a plan don't just panic and start trying to fix it in the next 5 minutes. You've been in it for a few years and finally found that fish you've been wanting since the start, quarantine him for his health and the rest of your system.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back