Question on trigger fish

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about keeping a Picasso trigger fish in a 6ft 125g fowlr tank, would it be ok to keep with clowns and a blue tang?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it will outgrow the tank.

Had a small pair of Crosshatches in a 10' tank, were the fastest fish I've even seen.

They did leave everything alone... I believe... did have weird small fish deaths I couldn't figure out.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had a small pair of Crosshatches in a 10' tank, were the fastest fish I've even seen.

They did leave everything alone... I believe... did have weird small fish deaths I couldn't figure out.
I was afraid of that, what do you think about a copper banded butterfly? Are they really hard to keep? Also you had a ten ft tank!? That must be awesome my dream is a 400 gallon

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My next fish to add was going to be a one spot foxfish, I was hoping if I had that, a blue tang and two clowns only that I could keep a emp angle I'm not sure if six ft is enough though

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next fish to add was going to be a one spot foxfish, I was hoping if I had that, a blue tang and two clowns only that I could keep a emp angle I'm not sure if six ft is enough though
Otherwise I'd like a copper banded and maybe a less aggressive puffer, I really don't want to overstock I like them to feel like they have space

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was wondering about keeping a Picasso trigger fish in a 6ft 125g fowlr tank, would it be ok to keep with clowns and a blue tang?
While you can, this triggers as well as Humu and undulated have strong jaws and can turn on clowns and any large fish.

Reeftanktraveler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that combo about 25 years ago and it was fine. I know it all depends on the fish, but mine was good. However, you may have some aggression adding new fish later. My Picaso would rearrange the rocks all day. It was pretty entertaining.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you can, this triggers as well as Humu and undulated have strong jaws and can turn on clowns and any large fish.

I had that combo about 25 years ago and it was fine. I know it all depends on the fish, but mine was good. However, you may have some aggression adding new fish later. My Picaso would rearrange the rocks all day. It was pretty entertaining.
I'm really torn on which fish to keep, there are so many interesting ones. I wish I would have started with a 200 or 250 gallon

Reeftanktraveler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to steer you away from Triggers because they are fun and have a lot of personality. In fact, I have a blue jaw trigger in my reef now. However, I have found I enjoy a peaceful tank a lot more than when I had a lot of aggressive fish. I hated all the fighting that takes place whenever you add someone new. My advice is to decide what is your favorite fish and build around them. If you want aggressive, add tough companions. It can be difficult to have aggressive and non-aggressive fish together, but it can be done. Prioritize your favorite fish and try to build around them. Also, add the fish from most docile to most aggressive if you can.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to steer you away from Triggers because they are fun and have a lot of personality. In fact, I have a blue jaw trigger in my reef now. However, I have found I enjoy a peaceful tank a lot more than when I had a lot of aggressive fish. I hated all the fighting that takes place whenever you add someone new. My advice is to decide what is your favorite fish and build around them. If you want aggressive, add tough companions. It can be difficult to have aggressive and non-aggressive fish together, but it can be done. Prioritize your favorite fish and try to build around them. Also, add the fish from most docile to most aggressive if you can.
Would it be realistic to keep an emperor angel in a lightly stocked 125 do you think?

Reeftanktraveler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not long term. It would be fine as a juvenile, but they get too big over time. Most of my fish I have had for over a dozen years, so I try to buy fish small and watch them grow. When you try to put a fish that is too big in the wrong tank, it stresses them out and they end up with a disease and/or dying way too early. People put Emperors in 125's, but the fish is usually dead within a couple of years. I would stick to the smaller or medium sized angels. There are some gorgeous ones out there.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've seen an emp in a 6 foot. It was rehomed after a bit though. Also was a very coral dominated tank, so that probably paid a part.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Huma will be fine, they don't grow that fast and if it gets so big you've done a good job but we are talking years, and many fish will slow there growth and or stop growing in relation to the size of their home. Ive got a reef with plenty of triggers, I say do it triggers are the best with there smarts and personality.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Huma will be fine, they don't grow that fast and if it gets so big you've done a good job but we are talking years, and many fish will slow there growth and or stop growing in relation to the size of their home. Ive got a reef with plenty of triggers, I say do it triggers are the best with there smarts and personality.

Super nice tank!

I had a pretty large tank and feel like our Crosshatches grew at a snails pace.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super nice tank!

I had a pretty large tank and feel like our Crosshatches grew at a snails pace.
Ya, I've got an undulated I added as a tiny guy smaller than the huma and it's actually growing pretty quick and has trippled in size in a year and is bigger than the huma who's a year older.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I've got an undulated I added as a tiny guy smaller than the huma and it's actually growing pretty quick and has trippled in size in a year and is bigger than the huma who's a year older.

Feel like when I added the Gem Tang to my tank, it and the Black Tang took off. Went from easily fitting in your palm to small plate size.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny how we perceive tank size like I remember bringing home my 6 foot 180 gallon tank and thinking I can put all kinds of big fish in here! Boy did that viewpoint change in an hurry! Imo 6 foot tanks are deceptively small when talking large angels snd triggers etc. I have a 5” emperor in my 180 which isn’t even half the size it will grow to and I’m already feeling like I can’t get my 8 foot 360 set up fast enough! Lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would it be realistic to keep an emperor angel in a lightly stocked 125 do you think?
Yes, just prepare for need for larger tank as they reach the 5-6" sizing

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow beautiful tank! Is that an Assasi trigger??

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back