Question on upgrading tank

Mil26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have a 20g tank and want to to move my corals and fish to a 55g I have read that I transfer everything but sand and get new sand but also read to transfer everything but water and sand and make a new batch of saltwater can someone help me with the steps on how thank you

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually save as much of the water as I can, but discard the sand.

How much live rock do you have? You want to make sure that your biological filter will be able to handle the larger tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have a 20g tank and want to to move my corals and fish to a 55g I have read that I transfer everything but sand and get new sand but also read to transfer everything but water and sand and make a new batch of saltwater can someone help me with the steps on how thank you

Leave the sand. Get new live sand. You can transfer most of the water and then fill the rest of the way with new saltwater. It's effectively doing a large water change during the transfer if that makes sense.

tmac18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question, why leave the live sand? Just curious. It's already live and he'd have to add more sand anyway. Just wondering how come, I know there's a reason just wanta learn why. Thanks!!

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question, why leave the live sand? Just curious. It's already live and he'd have to add more sand anyway. Just wondering how come, I know there's a reason just wanta learn why. Thanks!!
Old sand can have lots of detritus that can seriously throw your parameters out if it is disturbed.

tmac18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but doesn't it hold tons of bacteria also? Couldn't you put the new sand under it or above it?

theblackpearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you stir the sand out too much it will screw up your perimeters.....id just start with new dead sand....save as much water as you can so that you dont have to cycle your tank again

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but doesn't it hold tons of bacteria also? Couldn't you put the new sand under it or above it?

So there are tons of nasty gasses that get trapped in the sand. When you disturb it it mixes with the water along with all the other nasty poo and whatnot that was hiding in the sand. You could trigger a new cycle with this. Since "we" are upgrading in this case and putting all the stock in the new tank right away, you want to get new LIVE sand. This will come with the nitrifying bacteria already on it and help keep the tank from cycling over again with stock present. There may be a very small cycle, but I doubt it.

For what it's worth, I used my old sand from my 40 gallon when I upgraded to the 75 along with a lot of new live sand and didn't see any negative effects, but I rinsed the old sand pretty well before transferring. It's the OP's decision, but I always advise the use of the "safe route"

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you rinse the sand it just defeats the purpose, new sand is safer bet.

If your reffering to me, I rinsed the sand(only the old sand) in saltwater before putting in my new tank. And like i said, I always suggest just getting all new live sand because it's the safest route.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, I wasn't arguing against your point , just saying that rinsing the sand takes off the bacteria as well as all the nastiness. Effectively making it "dead". It's cheaper and nothing really negative comes of it, perhaps a mini cycle (alot of variables). While the new sand would instant cycle and be ready for use.

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When upgraded from my 75 to my 120 I bought all new sand, but I used all the water from the old tank for the new one (I of corse had to make 35 more gallons of water)

OP
OP
Mil26

Mil26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks you guys but I'm not sure do I get live sand or dry?? Can someone send me links on what sand I should use? Since it is new I might as well get some good ones Thanks :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks you guys but I'm not sure do I get live sand or dry?? Can someone send me links on what sand I should use? Since it is new I might as well get some good ones Thanks :)

Check out caribsea. You want wet live sand. If its dry, its dead. Your choice of course, but if you use the live then you run less of a risk of getting a cycle.

OP
OP
Mil26

Mil26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well i have 40lbs of live rock and going to get more will it do anything if i get the rest dry rock instead of live?? If not can i ask y not dry rock..

Davileet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible advice you are getting here Mil26 in my opinion. Please do not waste money on this bad advice and replace your current sand. I say that you take about 90% of your old sand and rinse it very thoroughly until it runs mostly clear. You will have to rinse live sand, or dry sand the same amount regardless so why buy new? Live sand is a complete waste of money as you have to rinse any "live" organisms away so as not to have a cycle, and again horrible advice. Unless you happen to not like the type of sand your currently have, it would be unwise to buy new to replace what you have. I have had great success in transferring aquariums by having 75% new freshly made saltwater ready to go into your tank and 25% old, and put the cleaned sand in along with 5-10% dirty sand from old tank setup which will give you all the live bacteria you will need. If you know someone with a longer established tank, you can also ask for some of their dirty sand to give you more beneficial bacteria colonies. For the additional sand you will need, I recommend CaribSea Seafloor Special Grade Reef Sand as it is the best I have found and currently use.

Last edited:

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say if I were going to try to get a live sand bed right off, I would go with new live sand.

I usually just buy all new dry sand and let my live rock seed the sand. I never put old sand in my tanks.

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I move all of my live rock to the new tank unless there is an obvious reason not to (some type of pest).

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back