Questions about filters

Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon take that has about 20 pounds of live rock, a couple clown fish, a few zoas, a duncan coral, and a CUC in it. For my filtration, I currently have a Penguin Power Filter with a "bio wheel" and an Aquatic life 115 protein skimmer. Both are rated up to 30 gallons. The owner of the LFS is trying to convince me that I need to upgrade to a canister filter, but I'd like a second opinion. Is a canister filter something my tank needs, or will my current filtration system do just fine for my tank? I'm attaching a couple pictures of these products, just for a little more clarification. Thanks.
213877g.jpg

243691.jpg

Tank.JPG

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been set up? If things are going fine I'd not change anything. When using a canister filter you have to be very diligent about keeping it clean otherwise it turns into a nitrate factory.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer will always help, I would go for a tunze nano skimmer. I will be upgrading my skimmer to the tunze 9004 in a couple of months. As far a filter goes some people run without a filter. My canister filter is gutted... I have one strip of blue white bonded filter media, gfo bag and a carbon bag in mine. With enough live rock, sand and a good skimmer and regular water changes, i wouldnt be concerned with a canister filter to do anything more than allow gfo and carbon. But like above said if it's working for you don't change it, but I would add a skimmer.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your fine with what you have. Be diligent about your water changes and you'll be good.

OP
OP
Cameron

Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer right now, but I've also been thinking about swapping that out with a HOB skimmer to give me a little more room inside the tank. I found a couple on marinedepot, just haven't researched enough to pick one out yet.

Thanks to the input guys, things seem to be going well, but I tend to over analyze everything, and it seems like every time I go into the LFS he tells me I need to upgrade to a canister or one day I may have a crash. I'll keep it as is until I see a need to do otherwise. I monitor all of my levels daily.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back