Quick help guys nitrite n ammonia in QT is high ... What should I do?!

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean barebone as u have no sand bed. I should say bare bttom...lol
Once u treated with copper or other medications, live rocks or sand should not go back to dt...
Prime or amquel will reduce ammonia in few days, after that it will rise again...
What u need is a good and stable biological filter, live rock and small amount of live sand from ur dt would do it. And no water change, cause that will remove bacterias, bring u back to the beginning. ..u don't want that.

Yes I have no sand bed but I did add some live rock after the spike but that's about it. So you are suggesting no more water changes?

The thing is I did not treat my Qt w/ anything. So idk why there is a spike in ammonia and nitrite.

Vpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have no sand bed but I did add some live rock after the spike but that's about it. So you are suggesting no more water changes?

The thing is I did not treat my Qt w/ anything. So idk why there is a spike in ammonia and nitrite.
When u start seeing nitrate to about5-10ppm, 10-15% water change.
Thinking of waste in water needs bacterias to consume, if there aren't enough bacterias, it ll rotten and there's amonia. I think it's abit more complex, but that's all I can to make sense for u....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back