Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my first post, which I posted in the wrong forum section
Thread 'QUICK HELP!!! MARINE VELVET OR NO?'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quick-help-marine-velvet-or-no.1007442/

Could this be Black Ich Turbellarian Infection instead of Hook worms???

And will Prazi or another medication will cure the infection?

IMG_4422.jpeg IMG_4420.jpeg IMG_4419.jpeg IMG_4417.jpeg IMG_4416.jpeg IMG_4495.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here’s my first post, which I posted in the wrong forum section
Thread 'QUICK HELP!!! MARINE VELVET OR NO?'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/quick-help-marine-velvet-or-no.1007442/

Could this be Black Ich Turbellarian Infection instead of Hook worms???

And will Prazi or another medication will cure the infection?

IMG_4422.jpeg IMG_4420.jpeg IMG_4419.jpeg IMG_4417.jpeg IMG_4416.jpeg IMG_4495.jpeg
While Prazi treats black ich, Im not convinced this is black ich but rather a skin irritation from a post injury and represents a rash rather than black ich. You can treat this in two ways:
Best: Quarantine in separate tank using Waterlife Myxazin or NT Labs Acriflavin. The Acriflavin can be used in tank but will take a little longer and also anytime you add medication with inverts, there is a risk

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is too localized to be a turbellarian infection. Those worms infect a fish randomly, not in a small spot like this.

As I said in the other thread, this is a scrape, possibly due to flukes. If it is flukes, then praziquantel will help. Do you have any updated pictures?

Jay

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is too localized to be a turbellarian infection. Those worms infect a fish randomly, not in a small spot like this.

As I said in the other thread, this is a scrape, possibly due to flukes. If it is flukes, then praziquantel will help. Do you have any updated pictures?

Jay
It’s starting to spread, the spot is much larger. Also I’m not sure if it also on fin???

I tried to get a macro shot, but the shadowSPOT is not as pronounced with macro and white light but can see damage to scales

Attachments

• IMG_4504.jpeg
    IMG_4504.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4505.jpeg
    IMG_4505.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4506.jpeg
    IMG_4506.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4498.jpeg
    IMG_4498.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4496.jpeg
    IMG_4496.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4497.jpeg
    IMG_4497.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4507.jpeg
    IMG_4507.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While Prazi treats black ich, Im not convinced this is black ich but rather a skin irritation from a post injury and represents a rash rather than black ich. You can treat this in two ways:
Best: Quarantine in separate tank using Waterlife Myxazin or NT Labs Acriflavin. The Acriflavin can be used in tank but will take a little longer and also anytime you add medication with inverts, there is a risk

One of the items are out of stock via Amazon and would need to check LFS for availability for both but the NT seems to be for koi fish fresh water, is that the same product?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest to remove & place him in a QT and treat for bacterial infection with a broad spectrum antibiotics like nitrofurazone.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the advice, multiple products are being suggested for different reasons
Can all these products be used at one time

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One of the items are out of stock via Amazon and would need to check LFS for availability for both but the NT seems to be for koi fish fresh water, is that the same product?
Not same. LFS should have them as its a popular UK treatment . Sera Tremazole would be another option which is Prazi
The problem with the advice, multiple products are being suggested for different reasons
Can all these products be used at one time
I understand and can be frustrating. I am giving you good options for your country.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not same. LFS should have them as its a popular UK treatment . Sera Tremazole would be another option which is Prazi

I understand and can be frustrating. I am giving you good options for your country.
Thanks for the advice, I’m not frustrated just looking at the amount of products I would have to buy lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s starting to spread, the spot is much larger. Also I’m not sure if it also on fin???

I tried to get a macro shot, but the shadowSPOT is not as pronounced with macro and white light but can see damage to scales

Yes, it does seem to have spread to the tail. To me, then, it is less likely to be a scrape mark from rubbing due to flukes, and is more likely to be a bacterial infection. Virtually all external fish bacterial diseases are gram negative ones.

Jay

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does seem to have spread to the tail. To me, then, it is less likely to be a scrape mark from rubbing due to flukes, and is more likely to be a bacterial infection. Virtually all external fish bacterial diseases are gram negative ones.

Jay
Is fungus the only positive gram infection?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is fungus the only positive gram infection?
Sorry, fungus? External fungal infections are very rare in marine fish - I’ve only seen a few cases in my career.
Most external infections are aerobic, gram negative bacteria. Some internal infections are gram positive.

Jay

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with PARAGUARD as it fights bacterial and ich, I came across another product called “Rolly” but the dosage seemed watered down. 30ml/10 gallons. I’ll be adding Vita Chem to fish food for aiding with healing process

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with PARAGUARD as it fights bacterial and ich, I came across another product called “Rolly” but the dosage seemed watered down. 30ml/10 gallons. I’ll be adding Vita Chem to fish food for aiding with healing process

Paraguard is a mixture of Glutaraldehyde and malachite green. I don't think that will have much effect if this is bacterial, it is mostly used for protozoan diseases.

Let us know how it turns out!

Jay

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paraguard is a mixture of Glutaraldehyde and malachite green. I don't think that will have much effect if this is bacterial, it is mostly used for protozoan diseases.

Let us know how it turns out!

Jay
What should I be looking for after 1 week of treatment? Will the black spots be gone/healed or fish no longer flashing and head twitching? Under white light the black spot turns more white with specs of discoloration so I’m unsure as to what I should keep an eye out for before putting back into main tank

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following as paragurad used to be my go-to meds 10 yrs ago but it has been more misses than hits in the past 7 years so I only now occasionally use it to disinfect new fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following as paragurad used to be my go-to meds 10 yrs ago but it has been more misses than hits in the past 7 years so I only now occasionally use it to disinfect new fish.

I know a pet store owner (old school guy) who used to recommend Paraguard, but he and I both found that it didn't seem to work like it used to. I think they changed the formulation, but I don't know for certain. One possibility is that they switched from formalin to Glutaraldehyde due to marketing restrictions in Europe for the former.

Jay

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is doing good so far, spots on tang look less pronounced.
No signs of stress or head shaking any more. Still eating and finally got it on pellets, which I dip in vit chem

I’m going to pick up Stress Guard by Seachem as well to help is mucus coat before putting it back in the main display.

I’m thinking I should dose my tank tank as well but kind of iffy due to coral

IMG_4576.jpeg IMG_4577.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is doing good so far, spots on tang look less pronounced.
No signs of stress or head shaking any more. Still eating and finally got it on pellets, which I dip in vit chem

I’m going to pick up Stress Guard by Seachem as well to help is mucus coat before putting it back in the main display.

I’m thinking I should dose my tank tank as well but kind of iffy due to coral

IMG_4576.jpeg IMG_4577.jpeg

It does look better. Please understand though, that artificial slime coatings are not medications, and may not even help with this issue. Here is a write-up I did on them:

Artificial slime coatings have been sold for decades, ever since Novaqua appeared on the market in the mid 1970’s. The “slime coatings” in these products are usually combined with sodium thiosulfate to remove chlorine, EDTA to bind with heavy metals, and some buffers for pH control. These products should never be used as a treatment for acute disease issues in aquariums. They can be overdosed, possibly clogging a fish’s gills to some degree. One study showed that a 50-ppm dose of raw Aloe vera caused >80% mortality in Tilapia after 72 hours (Taiwo et-al, 2005). Some of these products also contain phosphate which can be problematic for low nutrient reef aquariums. There is little to no direct evidence that the Aloe vera and other polysaccharides reduce stress in fish. It seems implausible that a small amount of polysaccharides added to aquarium water can preferentially coat the skin of fish, offering artificial protection as the fish’s natural slime coat does. In fact, while one study indicates that Aloe vera in water can enhance the activity of leukocytes in freshwater fish, the mechanism by which the Aloe reached the fish’s blood was not explained (Zanuzzo et-al, 2012). Indeed, in marine fish, the oral route would be the most likely, yet another study indicates that oral Aloe vera actually had an adverse effect on the antioxidant defense system on Rainbow trout (Golestan et-al, 2015). It seems prudent then, to use these products only to treat tap water in order to make it safer for fish.

Jay

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Clown Tang in QT.
Colors are very vibrant and the black spots/scars are healed mostly. I’m thinking 95%. I want to move it back to the display tank but I think a couple more days not sure.
The colors are very vibrant now, the yellow and blues show off under its jaw and belly

The tang never lost its appetite, I’ve been feeding it mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and meat pellets with lettuce on a clip
IMG_4605.jpeg IMG_4603.jpeg IMG_4600.jpeg IMG_4604.jpeg IMG_4602.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back