Quick marine velvet cure?

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i made a really dumb mistake last week. Bought a saddleback clown from a very expensive lfs. They sell their fish and corals double the price compared to others. Expensive dumb mistake. Put it straight into my clownfish breeding tank and boom all my clowns including the new saddleback got velvet and died in 2 days. I half dosed copper when i noticed the velvet and its been one week at the full Cupramine dose but im wondering if i could just take down the whole tank, wash everything well and sun it for a few hours(including soaking bio media in freshwater)? Theres no sand or rock in the tank. Would that kill velvet? Then i could just start it with 100% new water and sterilised bio media which i will seed with bacteria. Instead of waiting 5 more weeks…

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i made a really dumb mistake last week. Bought a saddleback clown from a very expensive lfs. They sell their fish and corals double the price compared to others. Expensive dumb mistake. Put it straight into my clownfish breeding tank and boom all my clowns including the new saddleback got velvet and died in 2 days. I half dosed copper when i noticed the velvet and its been one week at the full Cupramine dose but im wondering if i could just take down the whole tank, wash everything well and sun it for a few hours(including soaking bio media in freshwater)? Theres no sand or rock in the tank. Would that kill velvet? Then i could just start it with 100% new water and sterilised bio media which i will seed with bacteria. Instead of waiting 5 more weeks…

Cupramine needs to be dosed for at least 14 days (30 is better) in order to eradicate velvet. The tank the fish came from also needs time for the velvet to die out (guess on that vary from 28 to 75 days, depends on who you ask). Nobody truly knows though, no studies have even been done of this organism. 45 days seems to work out o.k. though.

Velvet can handle low salinities, down to 4 ppt, so just soaking the tank in FW may not be enough to fully eradicate it, unless you rinse and dump and refill to remove all residual salt. Drying it for a few hours isn't enough to really help, crevices may not dry out fully.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
you have to run your system fallow for a minimum of 6 weeks
Minimum of 30 -45 days but 60 recommended as it has a different cycle than that of ich and can be as little as 2-3 weeks depending on strain as velvet is in essence a flagellate

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a breeding tank with no rocks or substrate?

then I would just bleach it, break it down, dry it completely and then restart it.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum of 30 -45 days but 60 recommended as it has a different cycle than that of ich and can be as little as 2-3 weeks depending on strain as velvet is in essence a flagellate
Do i still have to wait the 60 days even if i take down the tank, filter, clean them well and set it back up

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By your description, the tank is bare bones. Not sure what filtration method you are using. With no rock, sand, etc, you can break it down, mix a strong bleach solution ( no fragrance or soap in the bleach, e.g. dollar store bleach usually) wash it down, let it soak over night, thoroughly rinse with fresh water and you should be ok. Very important to do the same with your filtration and anytthing else that was in the tank.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a breeding tank with no rocks or substrate?

then I would just bleach it, break it down, dry it completely and then restart it.
Yes. No rock or substrate. Just the clay pots. I was thinking of soaking the tank, piping with diluted bleach

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By your description, the tank is bare bones. Not sure what filtration method you are using. With no rock, sand, etc, you can break it down, mix a strong bleach solution ( no fragrance or soap in the bleach, e.g. dollar store bleach usually) wash it down, let it soak over night, thoroughly rinse with fresh water and you should be ok. Very important to do the same with your filtration and anytthing else that was in the tank.
Yea its just a 20g with a pump that pumps water up to a box with filter floss and bio media then it flows back down into the tank. Its a bare tank just has clay pot for the clowns to lay eggs.

I was thinking of cleaning and soaking with diluted bleach. Will soak everything including pump and pipes. The clay pots i may just soak in freshwater and sun dry for a few weeks since i wont be needing them anytime soon since i need to start with a new pair of clowns

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine needs to be dosed for at least 14 days (30 is better) in order to eradicate velvet. The tank the fish came from also needs time for the velvet to die out (guess on that vary from 28 to 75 days, depends on who you ask). Nobody truly knows though, no studies have even been done of this organism. 45 days seems to work out o.k. though.

Velvet can handle low salinities, down to 4 ppt, so just soaking the tank in FW may not be enough to fully eradicate it, unless you rinse and dump and refill to remove all residual salt. Drying it for a few hours isn't enough to really help, crevices may not dry out fully.

Jay
Since its a bare tank. I could take it down and bleach it right? Soaking everything that touched water. And it should be good to go in a few days?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do i still have to wait the 60 days even if i take down the tank, filter, clean them well and set it back up
Give it the fallow period for at least 30 then take it down

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since its a bare tank. I could take it down and bleach it right? Soaking everything that touched water. And it should be good to go in a few days?

Yes - but make sure you use plain bleach with no additives. You want about 200 ppm. To much and you end up having to rinse and rinse and rinse. About 100 ml of 5% bleach per 10 gallons ...

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even if i start fresh? Take down the tank, clean and set it back up.
If you take it down, sterilize everything - lets say with bleach - you can re-use it as soon as you're sure that the bleach residue is gone. There are multiple protocols out there - with different dilutions. You just have to make SURE - that everything is sterile (i.e. filter, heater, tank, lid (if any), etc. as well as anything inside the tank. I'm assuming (it wasn't totally clear) - that all of your fish are dead at this point.

In any case - sorry for your losses - its never easy. Hope this helps

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just take it down and let it get bone dry for awhile. Drying out kills velvet but you need to make sure everything is dry... not water drops hanging out in a filter area, ect.

I would toss out any media. Replace anything cheap that doesn't dry well.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would just take it down and let it get bone dry for awhile. Drying out kills velvet but you need to make sure everything is dry... not water drops hanging out in a filter area, ect.

I would toss out any media. Replace anything cheap that doesn't dry well.
When I run a Tank Transfer Method TTM I used distilled white vinegar to sterilize. I then place everything in a room in front of a fan to dry (speeds the drying process. Out doors in the sun is ok as well. Once completely dry bleach or vinegar will sterilize the tanks and equipment.
I have had bio material like Matrix. What I’ve done here is spread it out in something like a cookie sheet or Rubbermaid tote. Dried it with the same fan then let sit for extended time (at least a few weeks) I’ve even soaked in vinegar water first. Then I rinse in boiling water, tumbling in a colander or stirring with a spoon of small amount. Allow to dry again, then place in bags etc to re-sead in a sump etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back