R2R Tips and Tricks

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A job well done, @NY_Caveman ! Your efforts are and will be appreciated.

BTW - you mean I've been doing it wrong by turning my head? ;)

Turn your phone sideways once in a while
When reading R2R I tend to stay in Portrait mode (with the phone vertical). This is generally the easiest way to scroll and read threads. However, if you occasionally turn your phone sideways to Landscape mode, you can see user‘s statistics and all of the witty thoughts, links and images in their signature.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done sir! Thanks for your time putting this together.

This will definitely help with the learning curve for users who just dont understand how to use the editing tools etc...

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Work @NY_Caveman

win.gif

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuck!
Posting links
First of all, every phone out there is different. I am no expert on your phone's operating system. I assume how it works for most people is to go to your browser window, tap in the address bar, select the link text and copy it. In my iPhone there are popups when I click on text to Select All and to Copy which is how I usually get the link text selected. Some phones you have to hold down to get the menu and there may be other ways (like double tapping).

One you have the link, you can simply Paste it into the post window as is and be done. On my phone, once I am in the post editor
1-jpg.990355

I hold down my finger in the typing area and a menu pops up offering the option to Paste. I will note this post editor does not always work how you expect. You may need to try that or double tapping in your phone to see how to use it best.

Another option is to add the link to a bit of text, this is how it is done.

First, type your text. When done, highlight the text to select. On my phone I have to double tap the first word, then I can drag the selector until the end of the text I want to make into a link. On some phones you need to hold down to select the first word and on others you use the spacebar to help select. I know it is confusing on different phones.

Once you have the text selected, you then select the chain link icon (that looks like an infinity symbol circled in orange)
2-jpg.990357

A pop up window will open for you to paste or type your link in.
3-jpg.990361

Paste the text the same as you would into the post editor window. Select Insert and the selected text will now be a link like this:

This is some text. This is what I want to select for the link. This is some more text.

If your link ends up in other text, or you need to edit the post, there is also a button to delete a link. Click to Edit the post. Then select the text where you want to remove the link. once selected, click the Unlink button here (circled in blue)
4-jpg.990372

This will remove the link.
Your images are broke on this one. Your attachments are missing, so I can't fix it. (not sure what may have happened)
The only question I have for using R2R is adding GIFs, advice @NY_Caveman ?
Just treat them like an image. Either attach them as such, or use the img code.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your images are broke on this one. Your attachments are missing, so I can't fix it. (not sure what may have happened)
Thanks! It was a modified copy and paste from a conversation. They came up for me, so I did not notice. I just fixed it for everyone else.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just made navigation a LOT EASIER
Great job!!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark Forums Read

This post I would consider an advanced topic. It is related to Alerts and Watched Threads that were mentioned in the second post. If you read through to the end you will learn how this simple function will help you resume getting Alerts for followed threads.

When you look at the R2R home page or your Watched Threads list, you will notice some threads are listed in bold.

378AA6BD-EE83-4078-9FA8-7CC005BEF82B.jpeg

Bold indicates there are posts in the thread you have not read. By selecting “Mark Forums Read” you can clear out the bold highlight for all of the threads you follow throughout all forums.
191CD58A-3727-4287-9D1D-23A7A01E7752.jpeg

After you click this, your thread lists will be cleared out for all threads you follow.
ECA5B2EC-F273-49CD-941B-40EDE084B90C.jpeg

Okay, maybe you do not use you thread lists this way, so how is this useful for you? The biggest benefit is that you will resume receiving fresh Alerts for threads you follow. There are two instances where this is most useful.
  1. You feel you are not getting Alerts for threads you follow.
  2. You have been away on holiday or perhaps life just got in the way and you want to start fresh.
Try it out and watch the Alerts roll in!

Last edited:

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark Forums Read
This post I would consider an advanced topic. It is related to Alerts and Watched Threads that were mentioned in the second post. If you read through to the end you will learn how this simple function will help you get Alerts for followed threads.

When you look at the R2R home page or your Watched Threads list, you will notice little dots next to the threads (circled in yellow).

The dot indicates there are posts in the thread you have not read. By selecting “Mark Forums Read” you can clear out the dots for all of the threads you follow throughout all forums.

After you click this, your Unread Watched Threads list will be cleared out and your Watched Threads list will have no more dots.

Okay, maybe you do not use the Unread Watched Threads list, so how is this useful for you? The biggest benefit is that you will resume receiving fresh Alerts for threads you follow. There are two instances where this is most useful.

2. You have been away on holiday or perhaps life just got in the way and you want to start fresh.
Omg this is life changing information!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark Forums Read
This post I would consider an advanced topic. It is related to Alerts and Watched Threads that were mentioned in the second post. If you read through to the end you will learn how this simple function will help you get Alerts for followed threads.

When you look at the R2R home page or your Watched Threads list, you will notice little dots next to the threads (circled in yellow).

The dot indicates there are posts in the thread you have not read. By selecting “Mark Forums Read” you can clear out the dots for all of the threads you follow throughout all forums.

After you click this, your Unread Watched Threads list will be cleared out and your Watched Threads list will have no more dots.

Okay, maybe you do not use the Unread Watched Threads list, so how is this useful for you? The biggest benefit is that you will resume receiving fresh Alerts for threads you follow. There are two instances where this is most useful.

Great tip, thank you!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change Your Thread Title

Simple. Go to the top of a thread you started. Click the (...) button and then select “Edit thread.”

32F0A9A8-A971-49C2-B76A-5977F37E3542.jpeg

On the pop up, type in your new title and click “Save.”
195FCC51-FEE5-4293-AFFD-0BD107D93062.jpeg

Want to add a cover photo to your thread too? Read this.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back