Radion ati hybrid

Schoppejason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u guys think if I bought a 48" 8x54 ati sunpower an took the 4 center bulbs out an mounted my 2 radions in the middle. Has anyone tried this ?What about bulb combos?

MontiFanatic402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a killer fixture! It also sounds really expensive! If you have the means to drop some serious cash like that....do it up! I wanna see pics of it over your tank!

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just buy the ATI LED hybrid fixture? You wouldn't be able to just stick in the radions, they need ventilation so you would be cutting through the fixture.

Cost of ATI Sunpower + 2 Radions: $1,833
Cost of ATI LED Hybrid with 4xT5: $1,802

blakk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a similar debate. I wanted to add some T5's with my Radion tank to hopefully help with some SPS color.. I bought a cheap 6 bulb fixture gutted/cut it in half and mounted the radion in the center.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that is way too much light for that size of tank. With the T5 alone you can raise anything and everything in your tank. Now you have a problem with too much light and you have to dial down the radion which is a waste of money if you only run 30%. If you like LED just add some blue reef brite LED strip

blakk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is way too much light for that size of tank. With the T5 alone you can raise anything and everything in your tank. Now you have a problem with too much light and you have to dial down the radion which is a waste of money if you only run 30%. If you like LED just add some blue reef brite LED strip

The radion only supply's the blues.. nothing else.. Max is 25% at all royal blue. Waste of money? Yup don't need to tell me i paid for it.. but i am not upset its a great light but i want my WD frag under T5 and my RR pieces. I am super happy with my setup.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize you already had the Radions. I think adding T5's in some form makes a lot of sense. LED + T5 will give you great color and growth.

Aesthetically, what look are you going for:

Option 1: Retro-fit T5 kit with Radions in a custom hanging canopy (see post above)
Option 2: Cut up a pre-fab fixture and insert the radions.

If done right I think Option 2 can work but you would need an oversized fixture. For example, getting an 8 bulb fixture, removing the 4 inner bulbs and cutting a hole to add the radions.

Option 1 will look nice too with a minimalist design, high-quality plywood, and a decent paint job.

I think Option 1 makes the most sense, there are fewer variables to deal with since it's custom. Option 2 could look really sleek but will require more planning and probably more money.

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have great color with my frag tank just with T5 but my main tank is T5 and LED combo. The T5 is great for growth but the LED give that extra pop in blue that T5 can't.

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
since your T5 is space out like that you can run 2 blue+ and a purple + on each side since your radion will add more blue.

M3ace9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just run your radions at the color temp of a ATI Blue plus bulb at an increase percentage to get the par you need. I often see that people feel that the actinic period is only for looks. Im not an expert but I run part of my radions actinic period at a higher percentage than my photo period to increase par at that color temp. This brings out lots of nice color in my sps in comparison to friends who do not believe this will work. Just a thought
IMG_5580.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back