Radion XR15 G6 Blue Regret - Good Thing I Planned to go the Hybrid Route

Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching BRS's lighting episodes, I had decided I wanted to go the hybrid route to even out par and reduce shadowing. I am a fan of a bit more white for the day time, so I purchased a XR15 G6 Blue and supplemented with 2 AB Plus and 2 Coral Plus bulbs. In hind sight, I feel like I should have just gone with the Pro.

*Disclaimer: I am using a Seneye for a par meter.*
System: 65 gallon lagoon (36"x24"x18") with a 4 x 24" T5 bulbs and a G6 XR 15 Blue. Mounting height is 8.25 inches above water. I have a Red Sea screen top lid.

I've been running the Radion at 25% with 2 Coral Plus and 2 AB plus bulbs. I was surprised when I finally tested the par (1st pic). Good thing the T5s are only on right now for 3 hours a day! Right now, I have a few LPS and mostly softies. I hope to eventually go the mixed reef route. I quickly slid the intensity percentage of the Radion up to 100% and was even more surprised to see minimal increase in par!!!

When the T5s were off, I tested the Radion. At 25%, the par levels (orange numbers) were tested and the results are in Pic 2. When I upped the Radion to 75% (red numbers), there was hardly any change to par.

Given I was at the upper range for SPS at the middle of the tank. I popped out one AB Plus and replaced it with an actinic (pic 3). Par didn't change much!

I have some LPS and zoas in a QT tank and the gonis are looking amazing at 200-250 par. So are the euphyllia and several of the weed-like zoas. So, I just decided to go with the original lighting (Radion at 25% with 2 AB Plus and 2 Coral Plus). In my display, I have a Starburst Paly sitting at 200 par, that is stretching terribly.

I do not feel like I got any bang for my buck with the Radion XR15 G6 Blue and definitely have buyers remorse. Maybe when I win the lottery, I'll add a second XR15 Blue or a couple Pros. I am really happy with the T5 bulbs though. What a difference they make!

Par-Led 25%, 4 T%s -AB Plus, Coral Plus, Coral Plus at 8.25 inches above water  AB Plus - 2024...jpg Just LED at 25% light orange, 50% red - 8.25 inches above water - 2024-April-20.jpg LED at 25%, 1cp, 1 actinic, 1 cp, 1abt, 8.25 inches above water, 2024-April-21.jpg

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty darn good for an LPS/Softie tank to be honest.

I had a T5 hybrid fixture with my XR30s and it looked unnatural to my taste and sold the T5.

I run 3 XR30 on the AB+ schedule at 35% and the spread is great. I have acros , several monti species but predominately LPS acanthos, cynarina , acans, Lobos, Trachys , euphyllia etc etc. they don’t love too much light.

I get the not loving too much blue though..especially when it comes to being able to see fish colours in the tank.

OP
OP
Tritie

Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it wouldn't be with just the Radion. I was just surprised that the Radion is soo low, and the T5 are so strong. I really like the T5s

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Covering a 36" long tank is a big lift for a single XR15, and running 24" T5s on a 36" tank is also not ideal. Those numbers don't really surprise me.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the G6 XR30 pros on a hybrid fixture with 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus. I can’t say enough good things about it. I also added two XHO’s

However I have mine mounted 16 inches off the water. Real nice blend and spread.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back