Radion Control?

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if the radions can be controlled by an APEX controller? What expansions does the APEX need?

Also, do you have to plug in a USB port to adjust the settings to the radions using your PC? Or is it wireless?

Does the radion PC software interact with the vortech pumps?

Last edited:

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there might be some better assistance in the LED forum in the special interest section

marclwheeler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't need an Apex to control it w/ natural mode this is as good as it comes... the other reason the 750 price tag does seem soooo bad... if you have any other questions call or txt me at 319-899-3875

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Radions and 2 Vortech MP40s on my 180 gallon system (check out my build thread in the large aquariums forum - has detailed photos of the Radions, a custom mount, and a USB cable mod!)

You do need a USB connection to a Windows PC (or a Mac running Parallels) to program the lights, but you have complete control over the lights and once you push the program to the lights you can disconnect the PC and the lights run the show themselves.

There's really no need for Apex control over these - the built-in controller offers tons of functionality. EcoTech's app lets you group lights so you only have to program one (the others in the group get the programming wirelessly). You can set control points through-out the day that specify color temperature and intensity as well as chance of storm/clouds. The lights fade from control point to control point - so there are no harsh transitions. You can also set the day/night transition times - these change the color palette available for the control points.

Day/night transition times are also when the lights can signal wireless Vortechs in/out of night mode. That's the extent of the Vortech control so far - in/out of night mode. The EcoTech app has a single check box to enable this.

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if the radions can be controlled by an APEX controller? What expansions does the APEX need?

Also, do you have to plug in a USB port to adjust the settings to the radions using your PC? Or is it wireless?

Yes you need the WXM module and the newest firmware. I personally haven't used this functionality yet, but it was announced in there MACNA notes this year.

MACNA 2013 Announcements Round Up | Neptune Systems

Hope this directly answers your question.

Shadow1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reef Link, works well easy as all get out to use. Otherwise you have to connect one by hardwire to your PC to program them. once programmed there is usually not a lot of reason to fool with them anyway. I played for a couple of days with the Reef Link and got bored with it ..

.LOOK a Squirrel...

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Reef Link, works well easy as all get out to use. Otherwise you have to connect one by hardwire to your PC to program them. once programmed there is usually not a lot of reason to fool with them anyway. I played for a couple of days with the Reef Link and got bored with it ..

.LOOK a Squirrel...

I look forward to being able to control the Ecotech powerheads through ESL/Reeflink soon.

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes they can, only with the new software from Neptune (fusion) but that's not released yet.
Need the WXM module with it.
After Neptune has the fusion software released you don't need to wire them.
The pumps work on the WXM too, not through the radions.

If you want to adjust without the Future fusion or Reeflink yes you have to use a USB only in one Radion and the rest will hook up wireless after you put them in a group.

Only the night mode but you have to set the setting for it in ESL (Ecotech smart live)

Good luck.

iTread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...If I have an extra outlet on my Apex, can i plug my radion into it and then have control over it via Apex? Or do i have to buy the WXM module?

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...If I have an extra outlet on my Apex, can i plug my radion into it and then have control over it via Apex? Or do i have to buy the WXM module?
WXM. without all you could do is on or off

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back