Rainbow Acan Question

Kyle Sicard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding a coral I'm considering purchasing. In a past tank I use to collect acans and I noticed that rainbow acans would often morph or lose some of their rainbow colors. I think this was because my lighting was either too intense or maybe the LED's caused it. I tend to run intense light setups so I'm wondering if you guys think that the acan in the photo I attached would have this issue. I'm hoping that some of the guys experienced with rainbow acans can chime in and let me know what they think.

Rainbow Acan.png

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely see a change if they've been under a different type of light. Before I buy them I ask what they've been grown under. The last few I bought the sell even told me the types of T5 bulbs he uses...which coincidentally matched my bulbs.

OP
OP
Kyle Sicard

Kyle Sicard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use metal halide. I have a T5/LED hybrid. That's a hard decision, I'm just worried they will lose their rainbow accents in my tank.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this thing on Austin Aqua Farms...I get a lot of stuff from them since they're local. Always great quality stuff. Once my lights are at peak I'll take a couple of pics to show you. I also have T5/LEDs.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are 3 acans and a blasto that I got from them. They've been in the tank between about a month and a half and maybe 3 months. Taken in RAW and unretouched.
Acan 1.jpg

Acan 2.jpg

Acan 3.jpg

Pink Blasto.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with LEDs I run them at 120 par and if they start to lose their colors (mostly the yellow/orange/white) I move them closer and they color up again.
I run an AI prime and Ive got about 6 colonies and a few frags of rainbows. I dont think youll have anything to worry about.

OP
OP
Kyle Sicard

Kyle Sicard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pics and your experience with the corals in question. I ended up buying a different acan colony, I got chicken and choose a color combo that shouldn't morph as bad. Beautiful pictures BTW!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back