Random, Large-scale Zoa Polyp Death

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably go the pep shrimp route next I suppose. Just not looking forward to the 76 day QT
if you have a loose rock you could try an non ph balanced stupid cold freshwater dip. then work back to a temp controlled FW dip. Ive heard mixed success on apps. like this.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a loose rock you could try an non ph balanced stupid cold freshwater dip. then work back to a temp controlled FW dip. Ive heard mixed success on apps. like this.
I need something that treats the entire tank. We are at plague levels here :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need something that treats the entire tank. We are at plague levels here :)
oh i get it. The idea being if they dip off, its easier to do a rock at a time. at plage levels beyond a rebuild or filefish / shrimp, id be at a loss.

thefullgonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same here, massive Zoa die off wasting but no visual pest of any sort. My SPS, LPS and palys are growing like gang busters..

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged off a polyp that is showing signs of decline and snapped a bunch of pictures. I see some rings, but they appear to be under the skin of the zoa or maybe it is the skin? I also see some red dots too. Can I also say I love this new lens? Like LOVE it.

See the weird rings/lines?
FraggedPolyp-1.jpg
FraggedPolyp-2.jpg

Red dots on the left?
FraggedPolyp-3.jpg
FraggedPolyp-4.jpg
FraggedPolyp-5.jpg
FraggedPolyp-6.jpg
FraggedPolyp-7.jpg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow now we are getting somewhere!
We should discuss shipping to me for examination under the scope ;)
Pests

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow now we are getting somewhere!
We should discuss shipping to me for examination under the scope ;)
Pests
PM me your address and how to package them and they'll be in the mail tomorrow. :)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rings are under the skin. I've seen nudi eggs before and these appear different than what I've seen.

Ummm.... I dunno :) I cropped those images and slightly enhanced them in Lightroom.
got it, if you have enough light increase the aperture and reduce depth of field. increases sharpness.
cant see a of of detail on the rings. and you do have other nudis. hmm

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it, if you have enough light increase the aperture and reduce depth of field. increases sharpness.
cant see a of of detail on the rings. and you do have other nudis. hmm
I put it in front of a window and used my iPhone as a side light to get it brighter. It's cloudy here today though, so not as bright as it could be.

Talk to me slowly about camera settings... I know of to increase the aperture, how high would you say to go? I think I shot those around 8, if memory serves. I tried using a faster shutter speed too, but I could go faster. That's how you reduce the depth of field, right?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in front of a window and used my iPhone as a side light to get it brighter. It's cloudy here today though, so not as bright as it could be.

Talk to me slowly about camera settings... I know of to increase the aperture, how high would you say to go? I think I shot those around 8, if memory serves. I tried using a faster shutter speed too, but I could go faster. That's how you reduce the depth of field, right?
8 to 11 or more. On the apature its all in the lens. the shutter compensates to allow more or less light so to speak, in APATURE Priotity. shutter slows movement.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 to 11 or more. On the apature its all in the lens. the shutter compensates to allow more or less light so to speak, in APATURE Priotity. shutter slows movement.
Ok. I'll try to mess with it before I ship it to @twilliard for forensic analysis tomorrow. :)

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same here, massive Zoa die off wasting but no visual pest of any sort. My SPS, LPS and palys are growing like gang busters..
I have also had mixed success with small zoas. I had fruit loops that just completely died, then one polyp came back. I attribute that to it just being the zoas at that point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back