Random, Large-scale Zoa Polyp Death

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add, most of my Darth Maul colony is dead in the latest episode of this. And a colony in the back corner of the tank, nowhere near this one, is also doing the same thing.... :(
[emoji22] No bueno, sorry to hear it but hopefully we're on the right track!

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First some pictures...

Here they are two days ago... Starting to die back pretty severely. I noticed a pink thing on the stalk of this polyp. I took it out and it looked like it was just a piece of coraline algae. I've seen the same thing before.
DSC_2283.jpg
DSC_2286.jpg

Just snapped this picture moments ago. You can see it is spreading back into the whole colony.
DSC_2310.jpg

On an unrelated note... I fragged some tubbs blue polyps yesterday and pulled this off one. I thought it looked like a zoa nudi at first, but I think it is just an aiptasia now.
DSC_2309.jpg

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed! Pretty exciting stuff, there isn't much written on either species. Good call on emailing the author!
He responded back very quickly. It isn't either of those two. He said it lacks a few key features. He thinks it is related to Aiptasia, but really can't say for certain without having the actual specimen. I'm going to email him back and offer to send one to him :)

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He responded back very quickly. It isn't either of those two. He said it lacks a few key features. He thinks it is related to Aiptasia, but really can't say for certain without having the actual specimen. I'm going to email him back and offer to send one to him :)
it's great to hear how quick the author was to respond. The receptivity of the marine world is awesome. H H
it's great to hear how quick the author was to respond. The receptivity of the marine world is awesome. Let's hope this guy can get you on the right track!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple years back I had a random die off of my zoanthids, it was slow and painful to watch.

Granted I did not read each page of this thread (got 3 pages in).

Have you considered running a UV if you do not already, just in case this mystery is viral vs bacterial. My zoanthid die off was either bacterial or viral, a disease process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple years back I had a random die off of my zoanthids, it was slow and painful to watch.

Granted I did not read each page of this thread (got 3 pages in).

Have you considered running a UV if you do not already, just in case this mystery is viral vs bacterial. My zoanthid die off was either bacterial or viral, a disease process.
I haven't tried UV. I have an old one in the basement that needs a sleeve but otherwise works. Worth a shot at this point. The carbon reactor doesn't seem to be helping. :(

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any leathers in the tank? Just thinking about how changing the carbon seemed to help last time.

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2016-12-14_8-50-43.png

This is aiptasia with the striped tentacles. It is very likely your cause as I see it all over the dying polyps. Here is a link to some information on aiptasia.

http://saltyunderground.com/category/aiptasia-anemone-photo-identification-page

Yes, it is aiptasia. Removing them with tweezers just causes them to break off and for new ones to spawn from every remaining piece. A nuisance pest.

The solution is: but some lemon juice from Costco and a syringe from an over the counter medication at your local pharmacy. Directly apply the lemon juice to the aiptasia and watch it melt. No respawning.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any leathers in the tank? Just thinking about how changing the carbon seemed to help last time.
Nope. Just zoas, one acan colony and one hammer coral.

Yes, it is aiptasia. Removing them with tweezers just causes them to break off and for new ones to spawn from every remaining piece. A nuisance pest.

The solution is: but some lemon juice from Costco and a syringe from an over the counter medication at your local pharmacy. Directly apply the lemon juice to the aiptasia and watch it melt. No respawning.
That's not a pic from my tank :)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two updates to provide on this...

1. I'm still seeing this happen and I don't know why.
2. It is NOT a result of the aiptasia-like creatures. I introduced two peppermint shrimp to the tank and they annihilated them in 5 days. I can't spot a single one now. :)

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two updates to provide on this...

1. I'm still seeing this happen and I don't know why.
2. It is NOT a result of the aiptasia-like creatures. I introduced two peppermint shrimp to the tank and they annihilated them in 5 days. I can't spot a single one now. :)
I can't remember if anyone has brought up a small electric current running through your water?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember if anyone has brought up a small electric current running through your water?
I don't recall anyone mentioning it on this thread, but I have tested for it in the past. I'll check it again.

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall anyone mentioning it on this thread, but I have tested for it in the past. I'll check it again.
If the little aiptasia babies weren't the culprit and you're certain on the nudi front, stray current would be my next vote!

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the little aiptasia babies weren't the culprit and you're certain on the nudi front, stray current would be my next vote!
Yeah, I hear that. The issue is that the effect is not systemic. It is one colony here and one colony there. Then nothing for a while. It's really odd.

That said, I'm not opposed to sticking a grounding probe in there just to eliminate the possibility. I'll order one.

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I hear that. The issue is that the effect is not systemic. It is one colony here and one colony there. Then nothing for a while. It's really odd.

That said, I'm not opposed to sticking a grounding probe in there just to eliminate the possibility. I'll order one.
Also how often are you or have you tested your phosphate levels?

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... well it seems like we're still on the case! Interested to hear about whether or not the grounding probe has any affect. I'm on the tail end of pumbling and rehabbing our 275 and I'll probably work one into my set up now. $16 bucks for peace of mind.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...

I keep my nitrate levels around 2-5, but I only have one fish so phosphates would remain fairly low based on the amount I feed her. I'll research some ways to increase it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back