Ratios for Dosing Copper Power

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper has to be a gradual increase. So dosing it to therapeutic levels (copper power 2.0 ppm) in one shot would be harmful. I’d say try some sort of bath (ruby reef rally). Do you have surface agitation with a powerhead pointed at the water surface? Is the fish eating and has it been eating?
Lights came on and he is now in one of his pvc homes. I have no powerheads small enough (I tried my smallest and turned everything into a tornado so removed). The airstone is quite powerful with descent surface agitation. Fish was eating very well up until the dose and happy to report I just put some food in and he came out and ate like he's always done, very well! And he's staying out looking for more bits in the water to eat. So thinking maybe just a rough adjustment to the copper and I panicked. Going to have to go slow getting to therapeutic level, thanks for your help!

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights came on and he is now in one of his pvc homes. I have no powerheads small enough (I tried my smallest and turned everything into a tornado so removed). The airstone is quite powerful with descent surface agitation. Fish was eating very well up until the dose and happy to report I just put some food in and he came out and ate like he's always done, very well! And he's staying out looking for more bits in the water to eat. So thinking maybe just a rough adjustment to the copper and I panicked. Going to have to go slow getting to therapeutic level, thanks for your help!
I have a 20 gallon long tank with approximately 18 gallons of water in it. I added the initial 1.0 ppm in one shot (10 ml copper power) then I added 1.3 ml in am and another 1.3 ml in pm over the course of several days to get up to 2.0 ppm. Now I test every other day on my Hanna checker to make sure it stays at therapeutic levels. I’m currently at day 14 of 30.

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon long tank with approximately 18 gallons of water in it. I added the initial 1.0 ppm in one shot (10 ml copper power) then I added 1.3 ml in am and another 1.3 ml in pm over the course of several days to get up to 2.0 ppm. Now I test every other day on my Hanna checker to make sure it stays at therapeutic levels. I’m currently at day 14 of 30.
Good to know the doses your having success with. Are you treating wrasses as well or something else? Either way best of luck!

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know the doses your having success with. Are you treating wrasses as well or something else? Either way best of luck!
I was supposed to be quarantining a bunch of anthias, however I ordered from LA and 3 were DOA and 2 more died over the next 24 hours. I went and bought a kole tang at my local store the next day. So I’m only quarantining the 1 anthia that survived and the kole tang I purchased the next day. Wrasses will be in my next batch. If you’re treating a wrasse and have a container of sand keep in mind the sand may absorb copper from the water. That’s why testing daily is suggested. I just did a water change and had to test 3 times to get my levels right.

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's horrible, sorry to hear. Although the same thing happened to me awhile back which is why I now drive 1-1/2 hrs to my LFS. Thx for the heads up on the sand however, I run BB in my DT and bought the fairy wrasse because 1. he's stunning to look at and 2. he sleeps in the rocks so... no need for sand which is quite cool!

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a wrasse in my QT today..

I ordered both an orchid dottyback and a six line to QT together.

QT was 1.0ppm copper power on arrival. I floated them for 20 mins and released some water and the fish into the qt. Wrasse appeared okay, even ate one or two mysis treated shrimp.

Dottyback looks amazing today sad that the wrassed died. Not sure if it was because of copper power or just unluckiness.

I am starting my ramp of copper power now.

Will be ordering another wrasse for Tuesday delivery.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a wrasse in my QT today..

I ordered both an orchid dottyback and a six line to QT together.

QT was 1.0ppm copper power on arrival. I floated them for 20 mins and released some water and the fish into the qt. Wrasse appeared okay, even ate one or two mysis treated shrimp.

Dottyback looks amazing today sad that the wrassed died. Not sure if it was because of copper power or just unluckiness.

I am starting my ramp of copper power now.

Will be ordering another wrasse for Tuesday delivery.
Make sure you match bag salinity to QT. I usually grab them with my hand and place them in the tank afterwards. With a glove on just to be safe

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost wondering if the 1.0 ppm copper was too much for him to begin.

He was fine when I first placed him in.
Everything I’ve read showed people starting at 1.0 ppm to begin with then ramping up from there. I lost 5 of 6 fish from LA recently. Could be anything really.

gkr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to Copper Power, and to copper in quarantine in general. I bought an API Copper test kit for this. I used the dosing instructions of this thread and arrived at about 11 mL for bringing 9 gallons up to 2.0 ppm. I tested with the API several times and I am coming up with just a faint yellow, no more than 1.0 ppm.

My next step is to go buy another kit, maybe Salifert and cross check. I don't want to add more copper without being sure the test kit is accurate. Expiration is 2020.

Any recommendations?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am new to Copper Power, and to copper in quarantine in general. I bought an API Copper test kit for this. I used the dosing instructions of this thread and arrived at about 11 mL for bringing 9 gallons up to 2.0 ppm. I tested with the API several times and I am coming up with just a faint yellow, no more than 1.0 ppm.

My next step is to go buy another kit, maybe Salifert and cross check. I don't want to add more copper without being sure the test kit is accurate. Expiration is 2020.

Any recommendations?
I would get the Hanna High Range Copper checker.
No more guessing.
Tells you exactly what the copper level is.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any recommendations?
I agree with what Mfinn said. I’d also split up the doses and do a gradual increase. Are there fish in the QT already? Ramping up to 2.0 PPM all at once might harm the fish or cause diet suppression. Dosing the first 1.0 ppm is fine, then 2 doses a day over the course of 3-5 days to reach 2.0 ppm. Some fish are delicate and might need a longer ramp up period.

gkr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ramped up to 2.0 from a pre-dosed 1.0 over 2 days. And I bought a Hanna... problem solved on the testing issue. I am glad I didn't go solely by the API Copper Test Kit.

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding ramping up copper. You can start fast but then have to slow down once you approach therapeutic levels. Fish can tolerate a moderate start up but you need to slowly approach your goal ppm.

I do a four day ramp up as such..

Day 1 - 0.64 ppm
Day 2 - 1.12 ppm
Day 3 - 1.44 ppm
Day 4 - 1.75 ppm (target level)

Omgitsjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im beating my head into the keyboard trying to figure this out... I know for a fact im over thinking this. I have 8 gallons of water currently at 1.55 and I want to bring that up to 2.0. How much copper power do I need to add? Better yet, Whats the dang formula?

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason to use Cupramine over Copper Power at this point?

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you help me on doing a 120ltr QT im about to dose with Copper power please HotRocks

how many ml to dose to get to the 1.0ppm to put fish into
then daily dose to get to 1.75 -2ppm final copper

my heads just not good on smart stuff lol

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having Copper Power concentration problems right now, and am worried that it could be the Hanna High Range Copper checker instead? I dosed the 1.18ml per gallon rule to get to 2ppm copper, into an empty tank measured to exactly 13.5 gallons using internal dimensions (i.e. should be a real 13.5g gallons, no displacement).

I am consistently getting ~80% result though. I dosed 16ml Copper Power (13.5g x 1.18ml), and get 1.65ppm.

I get very consistent readings with the Hanna High Range Copper checker. It is a new kit and new reagents. Should I trust the kit or the 1.18ml/g rule? @HotRocks @Humblefish

Aetius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having your exact same problem. Dosed 1.18ml/gal for 16 gal and got 1.67ppm with a brand new Hanna checker that arrived 7 days later after the dosing. I run a HOB filter with Marineland Rite-Size Ready-To-Use Filter Cartridges.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having your exact same problem. Dosed 1.18ml/gal for 16 gal and got 1.67ppm with a brand new Hanna checker that arrived 7 days later after the dosing. I run a HOB filter with Marineland Rite-Size Ready-To-Use Filter Cartridges.
I bought a 2ppm standard from Hanna, and the reader comes back at 1.95ppm, so as far as I can tell the checker is correct.

Copper Power must be selling a diluted product now or had an error in production. Good thing we have test kits!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back