Re-Wiring Aquatic Life Hybrid

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Guys, thanks for the help @Behnken for the tips and @AquaticLifeProducts for answering my questions. I went with the least expensive and easy route. used Zip Ties and Cable mount to hold the cable and to meet in the middle. used a wire raceway to hide the black cable in my white painted wall. I so love this fixture.

Last edited:

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D3EA3D94-F247-4C35-B7F5-F0B887D3D009.jpeg

2F59799E-D7BF-4C36-AFBD-32940EAF44AB.jpeg

D928E92E-8BA0-4CCA-885B-AB21F6037600.jpeg

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was at RAP this weekend and went over to review the new 360X, it appears to me that the 360X M5 screw mount will work with the standard LED bracket, it will not work with the Kessil 4" hole mount that we have now. We are looking at changing the tooling to allow both.

The only concern is that the 360X M5 mount to the LED bracket is that the kessil will extend down below the bottom of the T5 housing. It looked to be less then an inch but with out actually installing it could be a little more or less.

@AquaticLifeProducts - I think you are going to get a LOT of questions about this in the coming weeks/months.

1. What was the exact issue with the 4" hole mount? Does the smaller A360X body fall through now?
2. If people wanted to use the A360X M5 screw mount with the rectangular LED brackets, could they potentially use washers or shims under the brackets (and longer screws if needed) so that the A360X would sit higher?

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's no different than any of the under-mount fixtures being used on the hybrid, the bottom profile will extend below the T5 fixture if the body is taller than the fixture itself. If you run radions with the diffuser panels, they will also extend below the bottom of the fixture. I'm about to mount my blackbox on the hybrid and it will extend about 1" below the T5 section, etc.

The only way you can get around this is to use the drop in style bracket, which it seems Dave is getting made to accommodate the 360X. The issue then is that the light will stick out of the top portion instead of the bottom. Up to you if the increased visible profile change or cable clutter is worth having them flush with the bottom of the fixture. If you use washers / shims under the bracket, it will push the light further down, not raise it as you're thinking. Using the LED brackets, it's not possible to raise the height of a light because your base is fixed to that LED bracket, unless you do some modification using other brackets which will just make an unsightly mess.

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you use washers / shims under the bracket, it will push the light further down, not raise it as you're thinking. Using the LED brackets, it's not possible to raise the height of a light because your base is fixed to that LED bracket, unless you do some modification using other brackets which will just make an unsightly mess.

I think it's quite the opposite. If the light is affixed to a bracket (shown attached) and there are washers/shims underneath these brackets (between them and the base unit) - everything would be pushed up that amount. The brackets would not be flush with the base anymore, but the bottoms would come up.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're talking about the long, rectangular brackets for non-kessil uses, correct? Getting confused :|

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We're talking about the long, rectangular brackets for non-kessil uses, correct? Getting confused :|

Yep! If those brackets themselves are raised up (not the connection to the light, which would push it further down) then the whole thing would come up a bit. The only tricky thing would be getting the screw and shim to line up perfectly in the groove. Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 10.11.28 PM.png

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if not caring about seating in the grooves that will work. I was going by the thought of not doing such, which is why any method wouldn't work :)

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
As Kyl mentioned we are working on a modified round cradle bracket for the 360X, which is just slightly wider than the originals. So we need to make a new tool to punch the metal to accommodate the new size. I just approved the new tool so we are looking at a few weeks until it will be ready for testing.

The universal LED brackets will also work with the Kessil 360X sitting slightly below the T5 profile, they would attach with the M5 screw mount that is in the center of the Kessil body. Not sure if Kessil supplies the screw with the 360X?

OP
OP
Behnken

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The part you made looks nice, send some pics when you get it put together.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you guys open up the part of the fixture that has the ballast? It looks like it's two pieces that slide apart, but I don't want to break it by trying the wrong thing.

Actually, it looks like it would be better to fish the wire through rather than take it apart. I'm going for the center single wire.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you guys open up the part of the fixture that has the ballast? It looks like it's two pieces that slide apart, but I don't want to break it by trying the wrong thing.

Actually, it looks like it would be better to fish the wire through rather than take it apart. I'm going for the center single wire.
No need to remove the ballast. @Crabs McJones has a thread on how to do this.

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just take both end brackets off then slide the ballast fixture housing halfway. No need to completely slide it off as you’ll notice there are wires that will be in your way. Sliding it apart halfway will give you enough space to do all the wiring you need.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 107 81.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back