Ready to give up on keeping fish (long post)

OP
OP
M

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mtdaly85,

I have health issues and almost gave up, and wrote about my thoughts a couple weeks ago.
Several people told me not to give up and had all positive things to say, so I'm getting to work with a positive mind and heart with this beautiful rewarding hobby. So, band together with everyone here and do what ever it takes, even if it means starting over with a QT sysstem.

Be strong buddy.
We Love this lifestyle and everyone will help you !

(if you don't mind, what's your name)

Kevin

Thank you for the kind words, man. My name is Matt, by the way.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you overloaded your system as it was so new. after your tank had cycled i woud have put in ONE fish for about 6 weeks then another and another over the following months. Got to let your system mature and that can take a year till it all harmonises

I am going to call this one out... it is a bit of an old wives tale. I have added 6 large tangs to a 3 month old tank and tested for ammonia every evening... not once did I have an issue.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and keep us posted!!!!! This hobby is incredibly rewarding.....it can also be equally frustrating.....but I found that it is way more rewarding than frustrating. Especially as you gain experience and knowledge. The great people on this forum are always here to help and cheer you on! [emoji16]

Jk120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of times things are over thought. Sometimes not but the first alarming thing I've read is the length of time you acclimate. I never go more than 30 min on acclimating new fish. Once you open the bag ph changes. So fish is really stressed for 45 min than stressed again once added to tank. Not to mention time in bag from LFS to home.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of times things are over thought. Sometimes not but the first alarming thing I've read is the length of time you acclimate. I never go more than 30 min on acclimating new fish. Once you open the bag ph changes. So fish is really stressed for 45 min than stressed again once added to tank. Not to mention time in bag from LFS to home.

OP mentioned LFS keeps fish in hypo-salinity. Much more then 45 minutes would be required.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back