OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full of softies. That just explain why this tank works. Try to put an acro in it to see how long it can survive.
I have a friend with a tank full of Xenia, he does not do water change. Hack he has no fish because they were all dead. He does not even clean the front glass. Now that is a great success story for you.
Softies are the worst for excretion of toxins, dz6t. Sanjay's fish are doing great. Check it out :)

Did you see my post regarding Glen F' tank? No water changes since 2004. He keeps LPS, SPS, NPS & softies. Check it out.

There's a couple of great success stories foy you :D

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies are the worst for excretion of toxins, dz6t. Sanjay's fish are doing great. Check it out :)

Did you see my post regarding Glen F' tank? No water changes since 2004. He keeps LPS, SPS, NPS & softies. Check it out.

There's a couple of great success stories foy you :D

They also tolerate toxin very well too.
I saw that thread too. People can post anything they want on the internet.

OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care to find the quote but Randy recently made a zinger of a comment regarding the whole Triton and NO water change nonsense. He said something along the line of "If you are running Triton, you ARE still doing water changes". Whats in those expensive white bottles? Water.
Its performing part of the role of regular water changes without making the actual water changes :)

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its performing part of the role of regular water changes without making the actual water changes :)
No, its technically doing actual water changes with freshwater evaporating out and Triton elements laced water going in. ;) Any Triton liquid added to the tank will be water not added by your ATO to compensate for evaporation which Randy has pointed out will lead to eventual accumulation of salts in the water.

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, is he using triton method since 2004?

OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, its technically doing actual water changes with freshwater evaporating out and Triton elements laced water going in. ;) Any Triton liquid added to the tank will be water not added by your ATO to compensate for evaporation which Randy has pointed out will lead to eventual accumulation of salts in the water.
Yes, and you monitor your salinity & adjust it with RODI, but this occurs quite slowly in any case ;) The same applies to anyone who doses calcium & carbonates, even if thay do regular water changes.

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I want to say is that triton method can be used along with other methods, such as water change. They are not one way or the other.

dz6t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also triton method should be understood scientifically and applied correctly.

leicaguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just received the Triton analysis back, suggests 6X15% water changes, over 6 weeks! some essentials in replacement of elements such as magnesium iodine and Boron, but even more obscure very minor elements, which I will not be doing! I follow the triton core 7 additives, phosphate remover, carbon and a LARGE mixed algae bed I use a Deltec 2060 skimmer, everything else is followed as suggested by triton, the aquarium is all sps
They suggest Triton salt for the water changes but it is not available in the US (currently )and so Unique corals suggest Tropic Marine pro.
I am 50years + in the hobby, originally from Europe I have been here in the US 20 years, I have seen many changes in the hobby, especially in the US as well as many fads, I am going to try this Triton and will post my results, what are my feelings after a few months using? I need more time I really need more time BUT the corals look good ! As for the water changes I am still doing them!!!!

Timfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A significant portion of DOC is refractory and resists being metabolized by anything. Dr. Haas, et al, found the only times DOC dropped to zero around reefs was in highly eutrophic systems completely taken over by algae and heterotrophic bacteria (presentation to our local reef club). The only other way I know of to remove the refractory DOC in our systems is with water changes.

OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A significant portion of DOC is refractory and resists being metabolized by anything. Dr. Haas, et al, found the only times DOC dropped to zero around reefs was in highly eutrophic systems completely taken over by algae and heterotrophic bacteria (presentation to our local reef club). The only other way I know of to remove the refractory DOC in our systems is with water changes.
That begs the question - what produces the refractory DOC, &, is there much if any in our aquariums?

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have seen a great improvement in our 93 gallon cube tank since we've been doing a 30% water change every 2 weeks.

OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have seen a great improvement in our 93 gallon cube tank since we've been doing a 30% water change every 2 weeks.
So why do you think this is? & what improvements exactly have you noticed?
Did you changed anything else in regards to tank maintenance since doing a 30% water change every 2 weeks ?

Any improvement can't be aligned with DOCs, in your case, (can it?) so it must be something to do with element replenishment

Timfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanjay Joshi’s Nano Reef Tank Breaks All The Rules (Video)

No skimmer. No carbon. No water changes.

His tank is full of softies, known for releasing toxins.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/07/19/sanjay-joshis-nano-reef-tank-breaks-all-the-rules/

To clarify, Sanjey's system had only gone 5 years without water changes at the time of the video. His system is much older than that and will have cryptic sponges removing bacterioplankton and recycling a lot of the DOC released by algae and corals, converting it into nitrogen rich detritus and small amounts of inorgainic phosphate and inorganic nitrogen. Another thing going for him is the DOC released by corals promotes autotrophic microbial activity. We can't test for these various types of DOC yet so it may be tempting to think we can run a system without water changes but until we know how to test and mitigate the formation of refractory DOC it's and still add food to a closed system sooner or later refractory DOC is going to cause issues. Considering we are keeping live animals the it strikes me as unethical for any but a few researchers with the proper test equipment to try to keep systems without water changes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23303369
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3719129/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3719127/

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 96 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back