Rebirth of the 180

SetayIV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, haven't done a build thread before but, it looks like a really good sanity check. I just hope I don't start adding up all the costs. A little bit about my tank history. I started with a small setup (90 gallon) in 2014 and quickly fell in love with the hobby and a year later I told my wife it was upgrade time. I did forget to mention the new tank would be double the size of the first but, hey, you can't remember everything.

So, this will be in quite a few parts as I figure out what to post and how to organize it all. I'll add videos and pictures along way. The first itteration of the tank was just phenomenal but, a small layoff didn't help the situation at all. Hence, the Rebirth of the 180.

The Equipment: Doing this from memory so bare with me.
1. Marineland 180, dual corner overflows.
2. Custom steel powder coated stand.
3 2 Ecotech Marine Radions (gen 1). They were the hottest thing in 2015.
4. 2 Ecotech Marine MP40 and 1 Ecotech Marine MP10 for a dead spot. Have rebuilt once or twice.
5. Ecotech Marin Battery backup (birthday gift from the Mrs.).

Life Support:
1. Life Reef LF1-300S / Blue Line 40 HDH return pump / standard manifold.
2. Life Reef VS2-24 in sump Skimmer (love this thing!) / Mag Drive 9.
3. Life Reef 16 gallon Refugium.
4. 3 Life Reef Media Reactors / manifold / Mag Drive 7. *Used as needed*
5. Lief Reef LCR2 Calcium Reactor *Added 7/28/20. Running with Co2 to get the air out.
6. BRS GFO Reactor. *Used as needed*
7. BRS Co2 Scrubber/Reactor *this is new and wanted to try it out. There are 3 people and four dogs in my house and lately......most of the time.
8. 2 BRS 1.1 ml Dosers. *Will reallocate to dose trace elements or liquid foods.
9. Recirculating Bio Pellet Reactor. *Cannot remember the make. It's in the garage as it clogs and is a PITA. I think it will make a come back with a small mod. Will update.
10. Kamoer FX-STP WIFI
11. Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser WiFi. *No idea about the WiFi part. Can't find anything on it.
12. 2 300 Watt Cobalt Accu Therm Heater. * I test these a few time a year as my tank never gets cold enough for them to kick on themselves.

Testing & Monitoring:
1. Mostly Hanna Checkers
2. Recent addition of the Neptune Systems Trident. *Not trying to be lazy but, actually pull more date. I don't test 4 times a day, every day, in the same way. Just sayin.
3. Full Neptune Systems Apex, added a PM1 module, extra pH probe, second EB8.

I'm sure I missed something. Here, a mixed of photos from the tank. I think this a a great start.

IMG_7839.JPG IMG_7840.JPG IMG_7841.JPG IMG_7842.JPG IMG_7843.JPG IMG_7844.JPG IMG_7845.JPG IMG_7846.JPG IMG_7847.JPG IMG_7848.JPG IMG_7849.JPG IMG_7850.JPG IMG_7851.JPG IMG_7852.JPG IMG_7853.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

OP
OP
SetayIV

SetayIV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I’m adding to this thread correctly but, I’ll work it out. Wanted to show you what we call Nem Rock. 8 in total on the rock but, there is another.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, haven't done a build thread before but, it looks like a really good sanity check. I just hope I don't start adding up all the costs. A little bit about my tank history. I started with a small setup (90 gallon) in 2014 and quickly fell in love with the hobby and a year later I told my wife it was upgrade time. I did forget to mention the new tank would be double the size of the first but, hey, you can't remember everything.

So, this will be in quite a few parts as I figure out what to post and how to organize it all. I'll add videos and pictures along way. The first itteration of the tank was just phenomenal but, a small layoff didn't help the situation at all. Hence, the Rebirth of the 180.

The Equipment: Doing this from memory so bare with me.
1. Marineland 180, dual corner overflows.
2. Custom steel powder coated stand.
3 2 Ecotech Marine Radions (gen 1). They were the hottest thing in 2015.
4. 2 Ecotech Marine MP40 and 1 Ecotech Marine MP10 for a dead spot. Have rebuilt once or twice.
5. Ecotech Marin Battery backup (birthday gift from the Mrs.).

Life Support:
1. Life Reef LF1-300S / Blue Line 40 HDH return pump / standard manifold.
2. Life Reef VS2-24 in sump Skimmer (love this thing!) / Mag Drive 9.
3. Life Reef 16 gallon Refugium.
4. 3 Life Reef Media Reactors / manifold / Mag Drive 7. *Used as needed*
5. Lief Reef LCR2 Calcium Reactor *Added 7/28/20. Running with Co2 to get the air out.
6. BRS GFO Reactor. *Used as needed*
7. BRS Co2 Scrubber/Reactor *this is new and wanted to try it out. There are 3 people and four dogs in my house and lately......most of the time.
8. 2 BRS 1.1 ml Dosers. *Will reallocate to dose trace elements or liquid foods.
9. Recirculating Bio Pellet Reactor. *Cannot remember the make. It's in the garage as it clogs and is a PITA. I think it will make a come back with a small mod. Will update.
10. Kamoer FX-STP WIFI
11. Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser WiFi. *No idea about the WiFi part. Can't find anything on it.
12. 2 300 Watt Cobalt Accu Therm Heater. * I test these a few time a year as my tank never gets cold enough for them to kick on themselves.

Testing & Monitoring:
1. Mostly Hanna Checkers
2. Recent addition of the Neptune Systems Trident. *Not trying to be lazy but, actually pull more date. I don't test 4 times a day, every day, in the same way. Just sayin.
3. Full Neptune Systems Apex, added a PM1 module, extra pH probe, second EB8.

I'm sure I missed something. Here, a mixed of photos from the tank. I think this a a great start.

IMG_7839.JPG IMG_7840.JPG IMG_7841.JPG IMG_7842.JPG IMG_7843.JPG IMG_7844.JPG IMG_7845.JPG IMG_7846.JPG IMG_7847.JPG IMG_7848.JPG IMG_7849.JPG IMG_7850.JPG IMG_7851.JPG IMG_7852.JPG IMG_7853.JPG
Nice!

OP
OP
SetayIV

SetayIV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the CaRx is up and running. Have read up on these things so much but, it still seems that there is more to learn.

OP
OP
SetayIV

SetayIV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, not much movement in the actual tank. I have been watching and trying to tweak the Calcium Reactor. I read up on everything I thought but, when trying to put things into practice, it still get confusing. I think things are getting quite stable for the Apex graphs.
apex1.JPG
Apex2.JPG

OP
OP
SetayIV

SetayIV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other part of the has been added some much needed LED lights under the stand to actually see. Man, what a difference. Now I can see the mess salt creep can have and out of control my wires have gotten. So, this spawn the new side project. A new control cabinet for gear and much needed wire management. I have a pretty good plan (added Mike Tyson quote here). I'll be working on this for the next week or two...whenever I gather all the parts needed. Pictures will be posted.

OP
OP
SetayIV

SetayIV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, finally have 99% of order items and 90% will to do it. It’s a good start to the new gear cabinet. The wiring was looking like a rat’s nest. I have a plan for that. Will post that part when done but, this pretty part is here.....

2E107062-13E3-42C5-87C7-7EFBAC9CBAFF.jpeg 03A856E5-9581-42B9-B290-74BBF49B30FB.jpeg ED34FB85-F344-468B-8BB4-950F1306235D.jpeg

OP
OP
SetayIV

SetayIV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, finally have 99% of order items and 90% will to do it. It’s a good start to the new gear cabinet. The wiring was looking like a rat’s nest. I have a plan for that. Will post that part when done but, this pretty part is here.....
Very nice tank.
thanks

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back