Recommend a reliable heater, plz

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think thats a problem a lot of them have
theres no really reliable heater, i have a visitherm stealth and it works great but some people say they suck
i head the new ebo jagers arent very good but the older ones are awesome
i have the older ebo jager too and works great
ive never had a problem with any heater, but i always hear people having problems

OP
OP
Chris2222000

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it seems like each heater I get, it works fine for a while then either doesnt turn on (which happened in this cold spell we had this week) or doesnt turn off! My temp was down to 72 for a couple of hours, luckily nothing was lost.
Im possible thinking of going the route of a controller which would give me more comfort when Im gone, any ideas?

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from Finnex heaters. I have had two crap out on me and both times they found ways to void my warranty.
I have only used the 50w and 100w visitherm stealth, but they have both worked great and are easy to find and cheap.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ac Jr ok? Is their any other pros to the other more expensive ones than internet usage that would justify the cost?

i have an ACJr, its completely fine to do most of what you need. just remember to get a DC8 power strip to control the devices.

as far as heaters, best to get a titanium, as the glass ones can be broken obviously. but in general, the heater doesn't really matter if its controlled by the ACJr.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just get any heater, and then buy an aquacontroller to control it.

That is the best advice. YEA Crazy controllers that heaters come with go ka poot quickly. I have been through a ton of them. Heck I could have bought a controller with all the bling bling that I spent. :hammer:

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just get any heater, and then buy an aquacontroller to control it.

Definitely agree on this. Buy some good titanium heater tubes and attach them to a controller. You'll have less temperature swings than with a regular heater, and won't have to worry about the heater going kaput. Your tube can and will still eventually go, but they're generally fairly inexpensive so you can always keep a spare.

OP
OP
Chris2222000

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. I had been eyeing controllers for PH and temp, I just didnt know if I should go with AC or the other brands out there. If the AC Jr performs well then I will most likely go that route.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea go with a controller and eliminate the worry trust me! Also look at the reefkeeper2. :D

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back