Red Fin fairy wrasse and exquisite wrasse

aeceac6413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I had had a male red fin fairy wrasse for a few months now- doing great! I was given advise from lfs that I can add a male exquisite wrasse and they'll be fine. I currently have the exquisite wrasse in a acclimation box in the water and the red fin seems very agitated- I can't tell if there aggression or not but he definitely is "amped". Do you think I will ever be able to introduce the exquisite? The exquisite is about 1.5 in long, the red fin is about 3 in long. I'd hate to introduce them and then not be able to pull one out if there is aggression. The red fin completely ignores the exquisite when its feeding time and at night.

Tank is 60 g breeder, just did water change and all parameters are within BRS standards on their website for salt water.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I had had a male red fin fairy wrasse for a few months now- doing great! I was given advise from lfs that I can add a male exquisite wrasse and they'll be fine. I currently have the exquisite wrasse in a acclimation box in the water and the red fin seems very agitated- I can't tell if there aggression or not but he definitely is "amped". Do you think I will ever be able to introduce the exquisite? The exquisite is about 1.5 in long, the red fin is about 3 in long. I'd hate to introduce them and then not be able to pull one out if there is aggression. The red fin completely ignores the exquisite when its feeding time and at night.

Tank is 60 g breeder, just did water change and all parameters are within BRS standards on their website for salt water.
Exquisites generally get along with other fairies. Unfortunately I don’t know what you mean by a Redfin fairy.
IMG_5015.png

Rubripinnis?
1715100437111.png

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately those are one of the bigger and more aggressive fairy wrasse. I know you probably didn’t know this when you bought it but generally I’d advise giving a fairy of that size a bigger tank. The exquisite is perfect for a smaller tank though.

If it’s showing aggression you can keep waiting and see if it calms down but be prepared if it doesn’t. I certainly wouldn’t allow the exquisite out of acclimation yet.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Just as you think you know the dimensions of standard American tanks a new one appears haha. What are the dimensions of a 60G breeder?

OP
OP
A

aeceac6413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately those are one of the bigger and more aggressive fairy wrasse. I know you probably didn’t know this when you bought it but generally I’d advise giving a fairy of that size a bigger tank. The exquisite is perfect for a smaller tank though.

If it’s showing aggression you can keep waiting and see if it calms down but be prepared if it doesn’t. I certainly wouldn’t allow the exquisite out of acclimation yet.
Thank you for the response- we're newish to the hobby and our lfs said it'd be ok- doesn't seem like it is... but thanks and I'll keep an eye on them and see how it goes!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as you think you know the dimensions of standard American tanks a new one appears haha. What are the dimensions of a 60G breeder?
A 40 breeder, but 4 foot long instead of 3. Roughly 48"x18"x17" tall. Good option for a tank.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go for a flasher wrasse to pair with whichever fairy wrasse you decide to keep. They usually get along just fine, my Exquisite was added in a few days ago and swims around with my McCosker's through the rockwork.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back