Red porphyridium cruentum

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of a few people doing it. I tried it out some months ago and greatly disliked it. I found it very clumpy and annoying. Is there a reason you want this particular one? I changed over to rhodomonas and it's a wonderful phyto to culture, if you're looking for just a red phyto.

OP
OP
gengar800

gengar800

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of a few people doing it. I tried it out some months ago and greatly disliked it. I found it very clumpy and annoying. Is there a reason you want this particular one? I changed over to rhodomonas and it's a wonderful phyto to culture, if you're looking for just a red phyto.
That is the only red phyto i can find local. Can you let me know why it clumpy and annoying. Did you successful in culture them. Tks

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been told I am wrong, I personally dislike Porph. I got some last year and ran it for 6-8 weeks, it was always leftover in copepod tanks and the rotifers I fed with only porch crashed. I would scope the rotifers, never finding a porph cell in their stomachs.

You'll want a smooth wall container, 1.020 salinity and fritz f/2. The cells stick to the jar and a pain to clean, one week into the culture and my 1 gallon jar is a pink hue and needs to be cleaned off with acid before reusing.

I do have rhodomonas salina, rhodomonas lens and pophyridium. If you are in Canada, I can look into the shipping some to you. Shipping costs will be slightly higher, if you'd like send me a message and I can look into it for you.

Skyler

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told I am wrong, I personally dislike Porph. I got some last year and ran it for 6-8 weeks, it was always leftover in copepod tanks and the rotifers I fed with only porch crashed. I would scope the rotifers, never finding a porph cell in their stomachs.
That's really interesting. I have definately noticed different zooplankton seems to preferentially consume different phyto. For example, rotifers seem to love nanno, copepods not so much.

My basic mix for copepods is tetraselmis, isochrysis/tisochrysis, synnechoccus, and porphyridium. For rotifers I add nanno. Sometimes I have thalassiosira but it doesn't grow as robustly for me so it's a more minor addition.

The first eaten seems to be isochrysis/tisochrysis & thal but porph is reasonably close behind. Then the greens get eaten. Testraselmis is almost always the last to go. I can even see a difference just by naked eye after a few days - the culture changes from a brownish-green to tet green after a few days before finally getting clear.

I don't know what species of porphyridum I have but maybe it's a more palatable strain?

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m running another test currently. I agree pods don’t like nanno that much. Rotifers love nanno & chlorella with a small amount of t-iso and galbana.l, rotifers also do okay on diatom strains.

Pods I like to feed chui, rhodo, iso and diatoms I feel like the more diatom phytoplankton they get the more robust they are the following days with new nauplii

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back