smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody dosing Reef Energy A and B?

* Are you using a doser?

* Any advantage to time of day or is it better to spread out thru out the day?

* If dosing, Bottles say to refrigerate after opening. Is any one trying to accomadate this? Or is liquid dispensed before it can sour.

* I have just been dosing specifically after water changes. Could this prove to be detrimental?

* The suggested rate is higher for an ULNS. Would this help with a zero nitrate system? Or would working to bring nitrates up still be preferred?

Just trying to dial in some of the finer points of my tank. Any help or suggestions are always welcome. I've read some positive feedback on this product and want to maximize my chances of using it successfully.

TIA

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* I have just been dosing specifically after water changes. Could this prove to be detrimental?

* The suggested rate is higher for an ULNS. Would this help with a zero nitrate system? Or would working to bring nitrates up still be preferred?

After a water change seems a fine time to dose. I can't see any downside to that.

The product does provide a source of N (amino acids, some vitamins), so can help offset the issues of a lower nitrate aquarium.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a water change seems a fine time to dose. I can't see any downside to that.

The product does provide a source of N (amino acids, some vitamins), so can help offset the issues of a lower nitrate aquarium.
Thanks for the info. Do you think moving to a daily dosing as indicated on label would be a better route?

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although my tank has been on a pretty good run since dosing, I can't say definitively that it was because of the Reef Energy.

Also, I just dose it once a week after water changes. When I run out of my current bottles, I will not keep dosing just to see if there is a noticeable change.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although my tank has been on a pretty good run since dosing, I can't say definitively that it was because of the Reef Energy.

Also, I just dose it once a week after water changes. When I run out of my current bottles, I will not keep dosing just to see if there is a noticeable change.

I started dosing A and B just a few days ago -but I dose it every night. I'm manually dosing .5ml of each, since i have a 25g AIO. I've been dosing less than recommended because A is carbs- and i'm not trying to get any bacterial bloom.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that the skimmer goes crazy wet after dosing Reef Energy - even with a 2 hour delay built into my feed timer. Seems like it just pulls it all right out. Since I'm trying to 'dirty' the water a bit I've started skimming only at night. So now I try to dose in the morning.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to pay more attention to my skim after I dose. I haven't noticed a wet skim, but I also haven't been paying attention to that after dosing.
I usually dose in the morning also, but on my way out the door for work.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it states on the directions to turn off your skimmer for 30 minutes, I keep it off for a couple hours after dosing. The skimmer running is skimming it out quickly. I know from experiences when I dose some Kent trace elements and coralvite and forget to turn the skimmer off the collection cup liquid is all blue!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to experiment a little for the last 2 weeks i started dosing 30ml of each every other day, havnt seen any detrimental effects, but maybe its just me but the color on some of my corals has gotten deeper.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was showing these pix on other threads. When you mentioned deeper colors I thought this was a good example.

Here is a pic I took around October 15.
5eb35e3d484b10788e657f02ce7290fd.jpg

This is the same coral I took a picture of it yesterday.

9e081588217d73b57639c0162e7eb3c1.jpg

I've been dosing 20 ml of each once a week during that time

Last edited:

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the negative affect if the skimmer is left running?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume the liguids you put in would not be circulating in the tank long enough as they get skimmed out much sooner.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back