OP
B

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if this problem may be a new one with Red Sea salt. I used Red Sea Coral Pro for several years when I had my old tank (2009, 2010), with no algae issues at all. Granted, it was a well-established tank at that point. I just set up a new tank in November and started with a fresh batch of Red Sea salt. I have been battling hair algae for months. I use RO/DI, GFO, Carbon, and an oversized skimmer, basically all the same equipment that I had on my old tank. Parameters are all stable. Based on this thread, I am switching salts. It's worth a try at least to see if this is what is causing the algae outbreak.

Could be a new problem. I heard it was good salt so that is why I switched to Red Sea. Sounds like we are having the same problem!

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried testing their rodi water for nitrates and phosphates before mixing and then after mixing? Maybe they produced some dirty batches.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really posible for a salt mix to cause these problems? I know it is natural salt. Maybe a expert can jump in and help us out with this.

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think so, that's why I one of the few things I haven't tried is switching salt brands. But it seems that several people are having this issue, so their may be something to it.

Is it really posible for a salt mix to cause these problems? I know it is natural salt. Maybe a expert can jump in and help us out with this.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I am having with these claims (which I am not saying they are invalid) is that people are claiming it is the salt mix that is causing this but nobody is testing the mix before it goes into the tank to say how and why it is doing it, or testing the RO water before mixing. Somebody needs to verify the hypothesis of this salt causing algae problems, I have used it for over a year and don't have a single piece of nuisance algae in my display tank.

The presence of algae in a tank, that the user is employing red sea coral pro, is not enough evidence to support the claim that the cause is the salt mix. The algae growth can be caused by a multitude of things. I doubt that the salt mix is adding the algae to the tank, but maybe it is possible. If anything it might be facilitating the growth of the algae but is probably not the sole cause.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in my tank my groni made a draw back and have not extended much since I made one water change. AND.. they did the withdraw during the water change. It is hard to not point a finger when that happens. NOTHING else was changed. ...and... I did do the tumble and roll of the bucket, even to the stage of pouring half out and tumbling in two different buckets, and shuffling the two batches a couple of times. I get serious about re-mixing my salt. BTW... The bucket says "New Formula".

EDIT: I have no beef with Red Sea, just expressing what happened, in case it adds up to something.

Last edited:

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I setup my 250 gallon new tank a few years ago.... With brand new pump, sump and tank no live rock just rodi water and rsp salt as I was going to move rock and corals over from a 150 gallon tank.

Within a week I had gha or bryopsis growing on the glass this was without any live rock or corals from my old tank just water and rsp on new setup. Once I saw that I never used rsp salt again. Switched to rc and currently use salinity salt.

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't really claim that it was the salt mix, but I found it interesting that people are having similar issues directly related to the use of Red Sea Coral Pro salt, especially those that claimed they had stable tanks until switching to this brand. The only way to test this is to switch salt brands and see what happens after a few weeks. I am going to do this, we'll see what happens. If I continue to have the same algae problems, I will say its likely not the salt brand.

The issue I am having with these claims (which I am not saying they are invalid) is that people are claiming it is the salt mix that is causing this but nobody is testing the mix before it goes into the tank to say how and why it is doing it, or testing the RO water before mixing. Somebody needs to verify the hypothesis of this salt causing algae problems, I have used it for over a year and don't have a single piece of nuisance algae in my display tank.

The presence of algae in a tank, that the user is employing red sea coral pro, is not enough evidence to support the claim that the cause is the salt mix. The algae growth can be caused by a multitude of things. I doubt that the salt mix is adding the algae to the tank, but maybe it is possible. If anything it might be facilitating the growth of the algae but is probably not the sole cause.

OP
OP
B

bkoppes

SaraNOSNOWta
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will getting reef crystals today and will be reporting back in a few weeks. I will be following the same water change schedule I have been using and will keep everything else the same.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't really claim that it was the salt mix, but I found it interesting that people are having similar issues directly related to the use of Red Sea Coral Pro salt, especially those that claimed they had stable tanks until switching to this brand. The only way to test this is to switch salt brands and see what happens after a few weeks. I am going to do this, we'll see what happens. If I continue to have the same algae problems, I will say its likely not the salt brand.

That test is not a valid test, if the algae is growing because of nutrient build up it is quite possible the nutrients can be used up between salt changes. This will give you according to your test, a positive result that the cause is the salt but may not be the case.

A better test would be able to backup the claims with hard quantitative evidence, like for instance a phosphate test of your RO water before mixing, a phosphate test of your freshly mixed water, a phosphate test of water that has been mixing for several days, a phosphate test of your display. The algae doesn't just magically grow, it needs some sort of food. If you are to claim the salt is makin the algae grow you need to prove the salt is providing the food the algae needs.

Or for two salt brand comparisons (reef crystals and RSP for example) you would need to be running two identical systems with liverock from the same source, these systems would need to have identical everything; skimmer, filtration, lighting, etc to maintain the same baseline. Then you could catalogue any anomalies and have a direct comparison. Really to have accurate results you would actually need several identical systems with the two salts to eliminate bias.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I setup my 250 gallon new tank a few years ago.... With brand new pump, sump and tank no live rock just rodi water and rsp salt as I was going to move rock and corals over from a 150 gallon tank.

Within a week I had gha or bryopsis growing on the glass this was without any live rock or corals from my old tank just water and rsp on new setup. Once I saw that I never used rsp salt again. Switched to rc and currently use salinity salt.

Please explain rsp to my old fart brain.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jared, have you tested your p04 recently from di or after salt mix. i have the hanna checker with a new box of raegents if you want me to check it for ya

just txt me

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a small bucket to try it out. I have a batch aging and circulating as we speak and was going to do the water change tomorrow, now I'm scared to use it!

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent tested it, probably a good idea. I will give you a shout this weekend.

Jared, have you tested your p04 recently from di or after salt mix. i have the hanna checker with a new box of raegents if you want me to check it for ya

just txt me

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a small bucket to try it out. I have a batch aging and circulating as we speak and was going to do the water change tomorrow, now I'm scared to use it!

You should not mix the salt for more than four hours, as per recommended by the manufacturer. It is suggested to only mix the salt for between thirty minutes and two hours with a maximum of 4 hours. Also, there should be no aeration when mixing.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not mix the salt for more than four hours, as per recommended by the manufacturer. It is suggested to only mix the salt for between thirty minutes and two hours with a maximum of 4 hours. Also, there should be no aeration when mixing.

It's aerated and circulated when it's in your tank. What's the difference if its in a bucket?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where did you get this information about mixing times and methods??

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back