Red Sea Fail, very harsh!! But truthful IMO.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Google what? What am I supposed to google? Google that insurance policies constantly get cancelled when making a large claim? Yeah I googled that and found plenty of instances where it happens, or they increase your rates. No thanks, it is bad enough living in hurricane alley and the last thing I need to do is claim a roof and fish tank in the same period. What do you think they provide in response to a claim? What is the street value on a mature yellow tang? You think they actually give you the real value or pay you back for all the hours of your time on emptying out a tank and transferring live stock?
Nope - I didn't state much of what you said. But - the way it works with expensive fish, tank inhabitants/coral. You give them a list and their value. They probably look at a couple random things to be certain that you're not inflating the values. Then you pay a premium. If a tank disaster occurs - you get paid for the amount those items are 'scheduled for'. But - Here is a quote from the first page of a google search 'Can insurance companies cancel your policy'. In most cases if you do x hours of work, you're reimbursed for that time. Now - before I get jumped on - I'm not in any way suggesting that having insurance makes the heartbreak of the mess and hassle any less. But if I had 20K in tank inhabitants, I would definitely try to insure it. PS - in many states, weather related claims do not count as 'excessive claims'. But as stated before every state has different rules. Hope this helps:

Top Five Reasons an Insurance Company Will Cancel a Homeowners Policy
  • Filing excessive claims, even zero-paid claims.
  • Failure to make payments on time.
  • Increased location risk.
  • Poor property maintenance.
  • Ownership of dangerous pets.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope - I didn't state much of what you said. But - the way it works with expensive fish, tank inhabitants/coral. You give them a list and their value. They probably look at a couple random things to be certain that you're not inflating the values. Then you pay a premium. If a tank disaster occurs - you get paid for the amount those items are 'scheduled for'. But - Here is a quote from the first page of a google search 'Can insurance companies cancel your policy'. In most cases if you do x hours of work, you're reimbursed for that time. Now - before I get jumped on - I'm not in any way suggesting that having insurance makes the heartbreak of the mess and hassle any less. But if I had 20K in tank inhabitants, I would definitely try to insure it. PS - in many states, weather related claims do not count as 'excessive claims'. But as stated before every state has different rules. Hope this helps:

Top Five Reasons an Insurance Company Will Cancel a Homeowners Policy
  • Filing excessive claims, even zero-paid claims.
  • Failure to make payments on time.
  • Increased location risk.
  • Poor property maintenance.
  • Ownership of dangerous pets.

Like I said, really do not care. You are not going to change your mind. As I said, I have two family members that work for State Farm and one just happens to do claims. Your person work in claims?

They probably look at a couple random things to be certain

They probably does not really come off as you know what you are talking about. So quit replying to my post and just move on to someone else because this is my last reply. As I said, I do not care because at this point you are just apologizing for bad behavior on a company.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like I said, really do not care. You are not going to change your mind. As I said, I have two family members that work for State Farm and one just happens to do claims. Your person work in claims?

They probably does not really come off as you know what you are talking about.
Actually, an underwriter - i.e. someone who decides policy prices. Plus - when I heard of the RedSea potential issue (back when it was a new thing - years ago - I went into great detail with my insurance agent.
Second - Again - different companies will do different things. So - I can't guarantee what every company will do in their underwriting practices. Thus I said probably. I own a separate policy (other than my homeowners policy) - for several items. Out of about 100 things - they asked for receipts and/or appraisals for 5 items. Thats what I'm basing my comments on. (again - this is a specialty insurance company not one like State Farm, etc). If you don't care stop debating - like I said - I'm not posting to defend RedSea - I've posted about insurance to tell people what options they might have if they own a Gen 1 tank. I.e. trying to be helpful.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DB3F5D60-0117-47E3-9965-110FC02BE956.gif

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this was mentioned yet but does anyone else find it rather suspicious that Red Sea have added a leak detector to their ATOs?
they’re obviously putting a lot of money into damage control and reassurances for new buyers. including paid posts on reefbuilders emphasizing all the new safety features and a free rig for remy.

the leak detector is another obvious effort in that direction, but i think it’s too late lol. a lil aluminum brace and some cute paid promotions don’t make up for the thousands of failed tanks they refused to take responsibility for.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I clicked the little Magnifying glass top right of page and input 3 words, Red Sea Fail. This is the results just from these forums. Over 20 pages of threads. Given we have this preponderance of evidence that Red Sea tanks are BAD, why do people keep buying them, and worse replacing one with another when the front seam fails?

I am pretty sure the reason for the seam failure on a red sea is that the front glass is just to thin, allowing for Flex in the pane, which then separates the silicone in the middle of the tank causing catastrophic failure (most common failure spot from my research).

Now add to this the horror stories posted about Lack of Customer Service on the part of red sea!! It has become very obvious to this dummy that Red Sea does NOT care about the hobby, or what we go thru to keep coral in our house. All they care about is separating us from our money with a sub-standard product complete with Lousy Customer Support.

You do what you think is right with your money, as for me, well, Friends do not let Friends buy Red Sea tanks!!

1686998358614.png
I started having some separation on the bottom seam. This was after having The tank was almost 3 years. RS had an extended time warranty if you registered online at time of purchase, I did so Iwas covered under 3 years. Had to send about 5-6 picts to them and I would up sending maybe 15! No way I was gonna get screwed! I told myself. I had been reading the reports and this was right in the beginning when people started having problems. My tank is a reefer 250, they said those and the reefer 350 and the 170 were not effected by the problem. Well It took RS 2 days to get back to me. Had the option of calling or doing everything via e mail. I called and he was super cool. I thought because of the uproar they would think I was trying to get a free tank. Nope, he saw the pictures and agreed it was separating. He said and I agree that the tank was far from splitting but Screw that! My wife would kill me if I ruined the wood floors….anymore than I have already….that one time….ok a couple times. Sorry! Sorry They sent a replacement aquarium part (top box in kit) in less than a week and since the stand and sump were fine and I was not looking forward to swapping tanks I was happy. It took all of 10+ hours to rip gently all the corals and rock then fish. Undoing everything and plumbing in the new aquarium on the old plumbing was sketchy but NO leaks!!! So easy to overtight things in these tanks. Moral: I would absolutely but another Red Sea! My dream is to be about to get a 350 or 450(AHEM! RED SEA HOOK A BROTHER UP!! I can be a good cheerleader!) but the way everything is probably never. Until then I’ll enjoy my new tank. Did not loose a single critter either. I just remember it was right when the last Avengers came out in blue ray and I had the first and second parts playing the whole time. And it was way over before I got done!!! That’s 7 hours right there. Red Sea did right by me though. I know not everyone was so lucky. I do wonder how many people with issues were nice to the person on the phone? Calling in in an panic emergency situation! Thousands of dollars in jeopardy! Home damage and killing animals no good! I bet a lot of these guys that got crapped on either did not do the extended warranty, or were Rude as hell on the phone with threats(seen that in here) and that’s no way to get anything. They are mass produced, QC is gonna get missed every one and a while. Silicone won’t set right, glass issues and they get produced the hell out. Plenty of stories of leaking and falling apart custom 10k+ set ups too keep in mind. Crazy percentage of RS tank owners VS expensive large custom built tanks. My friend Joel had his custom acrylic tank by a custom dealer blew the hell out. Lucky he was home. It happen to everyone. It’s who steps up to fix the problem is the best. Red Sea sent me a new tank within a week of first contact. That’s awesome. I’ll get another Red Sea someday

Attachments

• IMG_1730.jpeg
    IMG_1730.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1728.jpeg
    IMG_1728.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1734.png
    IMG_1734.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1724.jpeg
    IMG_1724.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1666.jpeg
    IMG_1666.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1417.jpeg
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    349.5 KB · Views: 29

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Another one bites the dust. This time a Red Sea 200XL G1. So much for smaller tanks being ok.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know if this was mentioned yet but does anyone else find it rather suspicious that Red Sea have added a leak detector to their ATOs?
No - since a leak dectector - is not anything about a catastrophe

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Max E170 a few years old that has the top seam that has a water bubble in it. If it was any lower I would replace immediately. I'm just trying to wait for the new house and the new tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Max E170 a few years old that has the top seam that has a water bubble in it. If it was any lower I would replace immediately. I'm just trying to wait for the new house and the new tank.
If I were you - I would be showing that bubble (especially if changing) - to RedSea - and following their recommendations. (and keeping clear documentation)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back