Red Sea NoPOx

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it would be beneficial to use NOPOx if I already have low nutrients in my tank. I test quite often and test 0.25ppm Nitrate or less and .01 to .02ppm or less on phosphate. I bought it a couple months ago but never started using it because its my levels are low. My set up is as follows.

24G cube
10G sump with skimz 127DC skimmer
return pump section is fairly large with chaeto and a kessil H80
In my filter sock I run chemipure blue.
I also have the 8x8x1 marinepure block.
I was doing weekly water changes of Red Sea Coral Pro but starting to scale back to possibly every two weeks.

I know its slightly overkill for a 24 gallon tank and 10g sump. Just want it to be as stable and clean as possible as i am a pilot and gone a lot so family feeds lightly when i am gone. The days I am home I dose reef energy and trace colors. Both state the need for NOPOx for color and growth but my levels have been so low I was hesitant. Any input would be great.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, carbon dosing has benefits beyond nutrient reduction (such as providing bacteria for filter feeders and possibly providing organics directly to corals and other organisms), but the risk of nitrate getting too low and causing problems is substantial and I would not do it in your case without potentially also dosing nitrate or increasing feeding.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%

Back