Red Sea pro alk

Perculap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Foundation test. The Color on the card is orange/red. The color of the test is much more yellow - the flash on the camera has made it a little darker. In this pic, I've used a little about .6ml of reagent. The color of the reagent in the syringe definitely matches the color on the card, but after titration, I can't match.

My end result color looks more like the PH/Alk end color that JoshKirkland posted above. Unless I am doing something wrong?

Red_Sea.JPG

Last edited:

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Foundation test. The Color on the card is orange/red. The color of the test is much more yellow - the flash on the camera has made it a little darker. In this pic, I've used a little about 6ml of reagent. The color of the reagent in the syringe definitely matches the color on the card, but after titration, I can't match.

Themy end result color looks more like the PH/Alk end color that JoshKirkland posted above. Unless I am doing something wrong?

Red_Sea.JPG
I have both tests. I think that test is bad. In the foundation kit it goes from blue, to dark pinkish, to red.

Perculap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what hes using. You want the green color.
c4b6b26876b20a60282c1e0c608d293e.jpg
795c559b6050279946d033274c5f9289.jpg

Hmm since this PH/alk test turns yellow, I wonder if the the remy foundation are mixed up?
FWIW, you can use a pH meter to judge the endpoint. The titration is completed at pH around 4.2-4.5 (depends a bit on the actual alkalinity and other factors). That can be a lot more accurate than looking for a color change.

I discuss that here:

A DIY Alkalinity Test: By Randy Holmes-Farley
http://www.reefedition.com/a-diy-alkalinity-test-by-randy-holmes-farley/

You can also use a hybrid, where you use the pH to determine the exact color to look for, then always use that exact color.

This is helpful! I didn't know testing PH was an option.

I also found a video this guy made describing the same scenario. I can pretty much get to the color in this video, by using all of the reagent in the syringe.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two different kits, one is the pro that the color is pink ish and the Ph/Kh with the dropper is yellow when you are done. The pro kit with the surge is more accurate then trying to count the drops out of the dropper

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the Red Sea 3 in 1 also on Black Friday from BRS and am having the same issue. I'm definitely not getting the same color that's on the card. More of a yellowish tint

OP
OP
N

nstd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS only carries Nyos and I picked up their alk test. Even though the test isn't accurate it gives me 7 dkh ball park.

So right now here are my parameters

PH is 8
calcium is 380
Alkalinity is 7
Mag is 1300

I hope to increase my calcium to 420, alk to 8 and keep mag at 1300.

Am I on the right track?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my LFS only carries Nyos and I picked up their alk test. Even though the test isn't accurate it gives me 7 dkh ball park.

So right now here are my parameters

PH is 8
calcium is 380
Alkalinity is 7
Mag is 1300

I hope to increase my calcium to 420, alk to 8 and keep mag at 1300.

Am I on the right track?

Sounds good to me. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I dose calcium and supplement alk when the dkh begins to drop

I would either dose as soon as it drops below 7 dKH, or pick a higher target, like 8 dKH, and dose to keep it there.

It is undesirable tyo be below 7 dKH, and with test kit uncertainty, being a bit higher is a good idea since it may be lower than you think.

Generally, I recommend 7-11 dKH. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back