Red Sea reefer 170 sump calve

Raptor1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m looking to replace Red Sea sump valve with a easier to use gate valve. Does any know the size of the drain line?

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was pretty easy. I used and want to credit this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/drain-pipe-valve-issues-on-a-reefer-250.325821/

People say the RS thread is metric but it screws into 3/4" adapter. I believe it's not metric but also not tapered like a typical plumbing thread. RS uses an Oring to seal, but it won't work with the adapter. To enhance the seal you need to wrap the 3/4" pipe thread with approx 12 winds of teflon tape. I tightened it pretty snug but with no tools. I'm afraid I could crack the fitting by hand if too tight.

Basically after threading on the adapter, you use 1" pvc. One short piece between the valve and 3/4" male thread to 1" female PVC adptr. Then one piece of 1" pvc from exit side of valve to bottom of the sump.

It tuned in minutes after this change. The RS valve had me watching the tank constantly. This was my first in cabinet sump so some of the issues could definitely be my inexperience.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome. I literally have never touched the valve once installed and initially tuned. The stock RS valve gave me fits until I replaced it.

OP
OP
R

Raptor1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome. I literally have never touched the valve once installed and initially tuned. The stock RS valve gave me fits until I replaced it.

I had setup a manifold with huge pump running multiple things, this had created a problem as flow varied a lot

4D84031D-0F24-45F0-BACD-DD466FAF6B0C.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Raptor1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll order another drain line and try to add a gate valve from BRS. Once again, thank you.

OP
OP
R

Raptor1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was pretty easy. I used and want to credit this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/drain-pipe-valve-issues-on-a-reefer-250.325821/

People say the RS thread is metric but it screws into 3/4" adapter. I believe it's not metric but also not tapered like a typical plumbing thread. RS uses an Oring to seal, but it won't work with the adapter. To enhance the seal you need to wrap the 3/4" pipe thread with approx 12 winds of teflon tape. I tightened it pretty snug but with no tools. I'm afraid I could crack the fitting by hand if too tight.

Basically after threading on the adapter, you use 1" pvc. One short piece between the valve and 3/4" male thread to 1" female PVC adptr. Then one piece of 1" pvc from exit side of valve to bottom of the sump.

It tuned in minutes after this change. The RS valve had me watching the tank constantly. This was my first in cabinet sump so some of the issues could definitely be my inexperience.

Where did you get the 3/4” female adapter?

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, can you please send me a picture of your modification?

I’m confused, the link for the 3/4” adapter you had send has 3/4” mpt, I thought I needed 3/4” female mpt.

I’m so sorry to kept on bothering you!

It's 3/4" MPT (male pipe thread) into 1" female PVC pipe.

spears gate valve.jpg

OP
OP
R

Raptor1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 3/4" MPT (male pipe thread) into 1" female PVC pipe.

spears gate valve.jpg

I get the part where the 1” adapter slip into the 1” PVC, but how did the 3/4” make mpt thread into the top end?

did u cut off the sump valve? Looks like u had keep the Red Sea connection to the drain line.

D8A2C881-9163-4021-A990-C86848EEC8B3.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Raptor1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
69A5946B-39A7-4A1F-BB9D-304A3497E57F.jpeg

Where did u get the circled parts? That’s where my confusion are.... if I can get that part, it would solve all my issues...

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the same fitting that is before the diaphragm valve from red sea. It unscrews so that you can put in the adapter. You can use the same one that's on the manifold now or buy another from red sea.

Watch the video posted by MRsbugmaster above in this thread and it shows the assy of this new spears vavle.

OP
OP
R

Raptor1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally it’s clear, thank you so much for your patient, I really appreciate it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back