Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 G2+ Noob Build

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions, thoughts? Thank you!
IMG_1273.jpeg

Are you a collector and coral showcaser or more of an aquascaper? Right now I'd say that rockwork is set up for showcasing.

If you are going for a more artistic take, my opinion is to think about things like:
  • You have all short rocks in the front and tall rocks in the back. This is the "fruit stand" look that most hobbyists like, but it kills sense of depth.
  • All 3 taller structures in back are the same exact height. If 3 is your number (instead of 5 or 7), they should vary in height and shape.
  • The hardscape is all oriented in the same fashion, the tall ones like table lamps and the short ones like pancakes.
  • There's nothing in the top third, which shrinks the sense of scale. I know some will say "space for corals," but if this tank remains up for 5+ years and you have huge SPS colonies that need the entirety of the top 1/3, leave that as a decision for future you, imo.
  • Your negative space is a perfect symmetrical T-shape right in the top/middle. Try to work in more of the rule of thirds.
  • I would move the entire scape off the back wall and more towards the front pane. The idea is to trick your brain into thinking there's infinite depth behind your scape.

OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you a collector and coral showcaser or more of an aquascaper? Right now I'd say that rockwork is set up for showcasing.

If you are going for a more artistic take, my opinion is to think about things like:
  • You have all short rocks in the front and tall rocks in the back. This is the "fruit stand" look that most hobbyists like, but it kills sense of depth.
  • All 3 taller structures in back are the same exact height. If 3 is your number (instead of 5 or 7), they should vary in height and shape.
  • The hardscape is all oriented in the same fashion, the tall ones like table lamps and the short ones like pancakes.
  • There's nothing in the top third, which shrinks the sense of scale. I know some will say "space for corals," but if this tank remains up for 5+ years and you have huge SPS colonies that need the entirety of the top 1/3, leave that as a decision for future you, imo.
  • Your negative space is a perfect symmetrical T-shape right in the top/middle. Try to work in more of the rule of thirds.
  • I would move the entire scape off the back wall and more towards the front pane. The idea is to trick your brain into thinking there's infinite depth behind your scape.
Thank you @Ernie Mccracken for your great insight and advice! The 3 taller structures are not on their final positions yet, I’m not even sure if I’m gonna use them or not, I just put them there so I can see my inventory. I think I’d like my aquascape to appear more artistic versus showcasing a collection, something more pleasing to the eyes composition-wise. I have some Fiji rocks that I can use to make the scape appear more natural and hopefully artistic. I will work on getting together a structure that I can make as my anchor point for a more rule of third composition. Again, thank you!

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m liking to progress. Your making me jealous! Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things I did for the tank recently:

I installed a 7 stage RO/DI system to supply my 10 gallon ATO reservoir. I’m using a Smart Buddie to maintain constant water pressure into the RO membrane and with auto waste flushing to minimize TDS creep, water comes out 0 TDS every time. I’ve installed the RO/DI system under the sink, I drilled holes under the kitchen cabinets to run the RO tubes through for concealment.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpeg
    IMG_1340.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1341.jpeg
    IMG_1341.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also leveled the tank using a digital angle finder and a bubble level so now it’s all level on all sides.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.jpeg
    IMG_1338.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1339.jpeg
    IMG_1339.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve installed leak detection probes today before I put on the floors of the stand.

IMG_1320.jpeg

IMG_1319.jpeg

Floors were put on

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

Sump and extension and plumbing installed. Hopefully no leaks

IMG_1325.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1333.jpeg
IMG_1335.jpeg
IMG_1336.jpeg
IMG_1334.jpeg

IMG_1344.jpeg
IMG_1342.jpeg

Tomorrow will be for putting on the doors and I’ll start with my aquascape.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 16

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve installed leak detection probes today before I put on the floors of the stand.

IMG_1320.jpeg

IMG_1319.jpeg

Floors were put on

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

Sump and extension and plumbing installed. Hopefully no leaks

IMG_1325.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1333.jpeg
IMG_1335.jpeg
IMG_1336.jpeg
IMG_1334.jpeg

IMG_1344.jpeg
IMG_1342.jpeg

Tomorrow will be for putting on the doors and I’ll start with my aquascape.
Looks amazing! Does it come with flexible tubing for the return pump?

OP
OP
ze_reef

ze_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think a flexible tube is included, only 2 barb adapters if you’re running dual returns

IMG_1345.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back