Red Sea Reefer filter socks making dripping noise

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RS Reefer 350 has been making this dripping noise from the filter socks for a while now and i just dont want to hear it anymore.

I will provide a video with sound of what i believe to be causing the sound.

So theres this dripping from the side of the filter sock holders where they slide in... Is this normal... If not how do i fix it?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    39 MB

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try sliding out the tray a bit. The dripping noise actually comes from water dripping down the side of the tray, and not the filter sock, and is usually a sign that you need to adjust your downflow pipe to match the flow of your return pump so that the return sump doesn't overflow into the sock chamber too quickly. This is one of the less attractive features of the system design. My holder drips intermittently (making me think that I have a leak); I've just become used to it.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try sliding out the tray a bit. The dripping noise actually comes from water dripping down the side of the tray, and not the filter sock, and is usually a sign that you need to adjust your downflow pipe to match the flow of your return pump so that the return sump doesn't overflow into the sock chamber too quickly. This is one of the less attractive features of the system design. My holder drips intermittently (making me think that I have a leak); I've just become used to it.
Ive just now tried moving out the trays a bit but it doesn't make a difference unfortunately... It still drips and with them out some of the water bypasses the sock which isnt very efficient.

I thought i had the overflow set up right as the water level in the weir is ever so slightly below the emergency? I cant imagine its because of too much flow in the sump either as when i ran my return pump speed below the recommendation for this tank it still dripped.

Thanks for the reply however as its got me thinking about flow rates maybe being an issue

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire sump design of the Reefer systems is fiddly and frustrating and probably the most poorly-designed part of the entire build, if you throw in the head-scratching ATO system into the mix. You might want to try to remove the filter sock completely, as it really tends not to do much. And try to keep the return chamber pump near the recommended outflow, as pumps stronger than the outflow in the recommended model can overwhelm the downpipes and the outflow chamber, increasing the amount of noisesome trickling.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody got any more ideas? I dont want to remove the socks really. Its just the sock holders dripping anyway... The noise doesn't bother me but its really upsetting my... Sensitive family members...

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to affix some type of natural sponge product below the lip of the cup so that overflow constantly flows -- instead of drips -- instead of the sump itself.

OP
OP
Max Rackstraw

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used some of this thick, dense foam that came with my filter floss. It has cut outs for the handles of the holders and pushes into position. It completely silences the noise.
5CEE5FCC-B296-4691-84B8-729265E5BA0E.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back