Red Sea Reefer questions??

SaltwaterTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , so I’ve had multiple saltwater fish tanks for a while now and have always wanted a Red Sea reefer , if I got one it would probably be a 100 gallon. I do have one old model that’s only 30 gallons but it’s very old so there’s nothing new to it . I’m not sure if I really understand the setup of the new ones though? Is there a way I can learn more about it ? Is it hard to maintain and how often do you take care of it ? I want to understand all the pumps and filtration more. I also need recommendations on which tank since there are so many, if you have any. Thank you !:) if you have one is the tank worth it ?

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a Red Sea Reefer 525 deluxe. Which means it came with lights. I like it a lot. Good quality. Cabinet has a nice modern sleek look. I can’t comment on return pump bc that will b your choice. as far as tank goes the things that I would watch for are the return flow adjustment valve. Very very touchy. Turn right to raise level and turn left to lower. The water should be 1 inch below the emergency water return pipe top. If not it will make a bunch of noise and you will have to adjust accordingly. Turn a tiny bit then wait 3 minutes. Don't be impatient! A little bit goes a long way and b sure to make small adjustments then tiny ones.
Also the ATO is small and the bulb cut off method was always getting stuck. So it would work by slowly dripping RO water in to the sump as needed. The problem is salt creep would cause it to not function and I would find the pump section half full from where it should b. This happened every other week. Save yourself the problem and buy a new bigger reservoir and better automatic top off. You can then use small ato container for refugium.

I would also mention that some of the larger models have had trouble with bowing cabinets. Redsea finally admitted to the problem and stepped up.
Many many people were disappointed with the way RedSea handled the problem. They have been very reputable with excellent customer service And with a big following. They really took a big hit with their slow to act response.
That’s about it for me.
Good-luck and Happy Reefing!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the RS750 just set it up then the problems happen with the stands not mind ans it was empty. beautiful tank for sure I 2nd ditching the ATO res. I ended up trading the 750 for a new 650P as we bought I house with a perfect place for a peninsula tank doing the reno and home to have it set up by fall.

the tanks are nice quality love the look of the stands I would replace the RS gate valve with a better one with 1st setting it up.

the V3 sumps are nice an big On the bigger tanks giving you lots of options for filtration. I like filter cups with floss over socks buts that just me,
is there anything you want to know? they function just like any other reefs with a sump.

IMHO if you have the space and $$ go as big as you comfortably can that way you dont have to upgrade in a year or two. I also like peninsula tanks I feel there 3 in 1.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back