Red Sea Roller Mat Sensor Issue

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had issues with their roller made wasting HUGE amounts of filter paper. 2x now in the past 2 months I’ve had my mat use randomly over 500 inches in one day! It usually should be around 40 inches.

Seems to be related to the sensor getting dirty I think. I’ve been cleaning it every month when it’s time to replace the filter, but even that doesn’t seem to be good enough.
Seems to defeat the purpose of the mat if I have to still take the sensor off every week to clean it. Even worse the mat is wasting me a ton of cash. At this rate I’ll go through $30 bucks of filter paper a week.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had issues with their roller made wasting HUGE amounts of filter paper. 2x now in the past 2 months I’ve had my mat use randomly over 500 inches in one day! It usually should be around 40 inches.

Seems to be related to the sensor getting dirty I think. I’ve been cleaning it every month when it’s time to replace the filter, but even that doesn’t seem to be good enough.
Seems to defeat the purpose of the mat if I have to still take the sensor off every week to clean it. Even worse the mat is wasting me a ton of cash. At this rate I’ll go through $30 bucks of filter paper a week.

Attachments

• 9EADF097-E594-4872-8EAB-0A6E0573FA1D.png
    9EADF097-E594-4872-8EAB-0A6E0573FA1D.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 39

BigBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used 90% of a pretty new roll last ngiht.
Any updates on your end?

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used 90% of a pretty new roll last ngiht.
Any updates on your end?
Hey, I'm not sure what has changed, but I've no longer been having that issue the last couple months now. When I was having the issue I got in the habit of cleaning out the sensor every week or 2 weeks just to ensure that it wouldn't happen to me again. Saying, that I haven't had to clean my sensor in months now, and haven't had any issues lately. I have changed up the settings on the length my roller moves when it needs to rotate to new fresh paper. This way the water level was typically below the contacts of the sensor more often and had less chance to get it dirty. Before, I think I had it set to very small increments (like 1.0-1.2 inches), currently I'm running it at (3.0-3.2 inch). So not sure if that has helped, or if whatever was gumming up the sensor has now been removed from my water column?

It's a little bit of a mystery.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back