Reducing alkalinity ?

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy.
I am running ULNS so keeping my Alk stable at 7 dkh. Now the issue I face is when I do water change with instant ocean salt which mixes at much higher alk and as a result I am unable to do a larger water change without significantly raising my Alk.
Is there a way to safely reduce the alk level of a freshly mixed batch of saltwater?

( unfortunately I don't have access to other salts which mix at lower alk levels )

Cheers.
Karan

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy.
I am running ULNS so keeping my Alk stable at 7 dkh. Now the issue I face is when I do water change with instant ocean salt which mixes at much higher alk and as a result I am unable to do a larger water change without significantly raising my Alk.
Is there a way to safely reduce the alk level of a freshly mixed batch of saltwater?

( unfortunately I don't have access to other salts which mix at lower alk levels )

Cheers.
Karan

You could add small amounts (drops) of muriatic acid from the hardware store.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't impact anything else except pH, which it lowers a lot. Aeration will slowly bring it back up.

Here's a copy and past of an old post of mine for a guy who wanted to use it to drop the alk from 13 to 7 dKH in 13 gallons of salt water.:

Yes, you just add the acid. Be very careful with straight muriatic acid. It can easily burn you, especially your eyes.

The "acidity" (that being essentially negative alkalinity) of normal (not low fume type) muriatic acid straight from the bottle is about 11,000 meq/L.

So adding 1/11,000 of the water volume as this acid will drop alkalinity by 1 meq/l (2.8 dKH).

You want a drop of 13-7 = 6 dKH, or 2.1 times that amount, so you'd add 1/5,100th of the water volume.

13 gallons ~ 49 L

1/5100 of 49 L = 9.6 mL

So I'd add 5 ml and stir well for a few minutes and see what alkalinity you get. Then dose again assuming it seems on the right track.

You'll need to aerate well after adding the acid to blow off the excess CO2 and bring up the pH.
smile.gif

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't impact anything else except pH, which it lowers a lot. Aeration will slowly bring it back up.

Here's a copy and past of an old post of mine for a guy who wanted to use it to drop the alk from 13 to 7 dKH in 13 gallons of salt water.:

Yes, you just add the acid. Be very careful with straight muriatic acid. It can easily burn you, especially your eyes.

The "acidity" (that being essentially negative alkalinity) of normal (not low fume type) muriatic acid straight from the bottle is about 11,000 meq/L.

So adding 1/11,000 of the water volume as this acid will drop alkalinity by 1 meq/l (2.8 dKH).

You want a drop of 13-7 = 6 dKH, or 2.1 times that amount, so you'd add 1/5,100th of the water volume.

13 gallons ~ 49 L

1/5100 of 49 L = 9.6 mL

So I'd add 5 ml and stir well for a few minutes and see what alkalinity you get. Then dose again assuming it seems on the right track.

You'll need to aerate well after adding the acid to blow off the excess CO2 and bring up the pH.
smile.gif

This is what I do and it works well.

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not simple get a low alk salt like Red Sea blue bucket. Anything else is just compromising.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not simple get a low alk salt like Red Sea blue bucket. Anything else is just compromising.
I agree. I use plain old IO and do not need to do this on a regular basis. But it is a useful technique if you are trying to match existing parameters like in the case of a large water change.

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying the red sea blue bucket would have been the first thing I would have done if I had the option :(
Reefing in Vietnam has its challenges.. supply of different varieties of salt just being 1 small aspect of it.. instant ocean and aquavitro is what all LFS are stocking these days.. no Red sea unfortunately..

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

13 gallons ~ 49 L

1/5100 of 49 L = 9.6 mL

smile.gif

Thanks Randy.. this is just what I needed :):):)

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this with my aquavitro salinity which mixes 9.5-10 dkh. If I were only doing 10% waterchanges I wouldn't bother, but I've been doing 35-40% so I use muriatic acid to drop it.

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl You would be working against your target params making it more difficult to maintain your reef at your target params. You never know when you are going to have to do that large water change :)

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@madweazl You would be working against your target params making it more difficult to maintain your reef at your target params. You never know when you are going to have to do that large water change :)

What? He’s talking about correcting alk in instant ocean. This is easy to do and many people practice this regularly. The rest of the IO parameters aren’t that bad. Maybe needs a bump in calcium/mag but that’s cheap and easy

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simple trumps money. If I did not want to burn money, I would not have bought a reef tank. Honestly, in the grand scope of things 30 dollars is less then 2 hours of work for me. For me, it is worth the money to use the right tool for the job. :)

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simple trumps money. If I did not want to burn money, I would not have bought a reef tank. Honestly, in the grand scope of things 30 dollars is less then 2 hours of work for me. For me, it is worth the money to use the right tool for the job. :)

Why are you posting in this thread? He didn’t ask for opinions on whether to adjust alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see how adjusting a salt mix alk is any concern or using the “wrong” tool. I never did it because I preferred the higher alk in IO, but if you don’t, lowering it doesn’t make it a bad mix.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back