Reducing alkalinity ?

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say something like this. If you are attempting keep low params, I would use a low param salt and simply maintain with a doser :) If you don't put something in that matches, It makes it more difficult to do larger water changes if necessary. Sorry All :)

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say something like this. If you are attempting keep low params, I would use a low param salt and simply maintain with a doser :) If you don't put something in that matches, It makes it more difficult to do larger water changes if necessary. Sorry All :)

l see where your coming from but unfortunately the OP is in Vietnam. Where IO is all she has. Good point though![emoji2]

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Totally agree with you.. but I don' have a low parameters salt available at any lfs .. won't mind the extra 30 bucks for an easier more stable option..
Allthough I am already paying 30 extra for IO .. as it's 80 USD per bucket here :(

OP
OP
A

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171103_125632.jpg

FTS..
Battling cyno at the moment.. hope can get it under control soon.:rolleyes:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used this Muriatic acid technique to lower alkalinity, worked great, now the pH is below 7.5, how long does airing it out take to bring the pH back up?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used this Muriatic acid technique to lower alkalinity, worked great, now the pH is below 7.5, how long does airing it out take to bring the pH back up?

Depends on the aeration. The more you aerate, the faster it goes. Shouldn't take more than a day, but if you are in a closed room, the room CO2 may be higher now.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m aerating next to open window with fan blowing in, I was hoping it would just take a few hours, thanks

runjmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't impact anything else except pH, which it lowers a lot. Aeration will slowly bring it back up.

Here's a copy and past of an old post of mine for a guy who wanted to use it to drop the alk from 13 to 7 dKH in 13 gallons of salt water.:

Yes, you just add the acid. Be very careful with straight muriatic acid. It can easily burn you, especially your eyes.

The "acidity" (that being essentially negative alkalinity) of normal (not low fume type) muriatic acid straight from the bottle is about 11,000 meq/L.

So adding 1/11,000 of the water volume as this acid will drop alkalinity by 1 meq/l (2.8 dKH).

You want a drop of 13-7 = 6 dKH, or 2.1 times that amount, so you'd add 1/5,100th of the water volume.

13 gallons ~ 49 L

1/5100 of 49 L = 9.6 mL

So I'd add 5 ml and stir well for a few minutes and see what alkalinity you get. Then dose again assuming it seems on the right track.

You'll need to aerate well after adding the acid to blow off the excess CO2 and bring up the pH.
smile.gif

hi mate can you please go through the calculation on how to calculate that 11000 meq/L?
I am using hydrochloric acid from a hardware store with a concentration of 320grams/litre. I couldn’t find muriatic acid but I assume it is the same thing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi mate can you please go through the calculation on how to calculate that 11000 meq/L?
I am using hydrochloric acid from a hardware store with a concentration of 320grams/litre. I couldn’t find muriatic acid but I assume it is the same thing

Sure. Yours is a bit weaker than the calculation.

HCl weighs 36.5 grams per mole.

320 grams per liter of HCl means 320/36.5 = 8.8 molar, which is 8,800 meq/L of acidity. That means it would subtract 8,800 meq/L of alkalinity if you used a full liter.

8,800 meq/L is the same as 2.8 dKH/meq/L x 8,800 meq/l = 24,640 dKH.

Thus, you can think of it as -24,640 dKH.

runjmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't impact anything else except pH, which it lowers a lot. Aeration will slowly bring it back up.

Here's a copy and past of an old post of mine for a guy who wanted to use it to drop the alk from 13 to 7 dKH in 13 gallons of salt water.:

Yes, you just add the acid. Be very careful with straight muriatic acid. It can easily burn you, especially your eyes.

The "acidity" (that being essentially negative alkalinity) of normal (not low fume type) muriatic acid straight from the bottle is about 11,000 meq/L.

So adding 1/11,000 of the water volume as this acid will drop alkalinity by 1 meq/l (2.8 dKH).

You want a drop of 13-7 = 6 dKH, or 2.1 times that amount, so you'd add 1/5,100th of the water volume.

13 gallons ~ 49 L

1/5100 of 49 L = 9.6 mL

So I'd add 5 ml and stir well for a few minutes and see what alkalinity you get. Then dose again assuming it seems on the right track.

You'll need to aerate well after adding the acid to blow off the excess CO2 and bring up the pH.
smile.gif
Hi Randy,

would you please go over the numbers in detail and explain how you come up with them. I’m interested to learn more so I can relate this to different concentrations of muriatic acid. I wanted to know how you got to the number that adding 1/11000 reduces your alkalinity by 2.8.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this a few times when my doser has hosed up. I use a max 1/4 tsp per 20gal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back