Reducing calcium while keeping Alk the same

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello -
I have a redsear reefer 250 (250 L total volume). I dose ESV b-ionic 2 part to maintain parameters - typically about 8 dkh and 450 ppm calcium. ESV recommends dosing equal parts of the alk and calcium supplement, which i 've been following closely, but this - very gradually over about a year - raised my Calcium to 550 ppm (real reading with Trident, double checked with a fresh calcium salifer kit)... Let me say that this has not have any adverse effects on my SPS... But still, i am trying to get my calcium back to 450 by dosing less (50% less) of the ESV calcium supplement. However, this is leading to my alkalinity increasing to about 8.7 over 2 days....

so, not sure how to go about balancing alk and Ca.... I did of course consult @Randy Holmes-Farley awesome article
The suggestion there is to increase alk (above 11 dkh) until Alk and CA are balanced and then dial everything down, but i would like to avoid raising alk that high... is there a way to rebalance Ca without increasing Alk ?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop dosing your calcium and let it fall back into place. Then only dose the correct amount to hold it there.

At the same time you've stopped dosing cal, to let it fall back in place:
Only dose the correct amount of alk to hold it in place, as well.

There is only one product that I ever used that broke down to even daily doses of all the parts over the long haul.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO, but one year going equal doses, is a great ride... :)
Yeah I was a bit skeptical along the way, although tank looked decent so I have no reason to question the method

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back