Reef Aquarium Fact #151 Mr Clean Magic erasers makes cleaning glass easy INSIDE and OUT.

fraghunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it on my glass 120 and it gets everything off with no issues and nothing is effect full blown mixed reef. Coraline comes off but requires a lot of elbow grease

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely works and used it with very good results.

jimdogg1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow

Would sure like to meet the person with large set of testicles that tried this first. Thank you for sharing!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very interesting (and cool journal - bookmarked!), but unfortunately they did not really state anything new...just that they are using them and see no side-effects.

What I'd like to see someone tackle is what the breakdown path is like for the "inert" parts.

Saying something is inert is a surprisingly relative statement - please read. I don't see BASF claiming they are inert, so it's probably a bad assumption, really. It'll be a food or building material, etc for something, sooner or later.

The cool part is that - like any environmental contamination - you don't always see the side-effects until you're well-down-the-road. Take the carbon-dosers for one example...their unforeseen side-effect is that their tanks can no longer support high alkalinity levels.

What'll the melamine side-effect be? Impossible to predict, but it's primarily a nitrogenous compound. :)

-Matt

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interesting: that doc is apparently published by the Columbus Zoo. I have a soft spot for them. :)

Drum and Croaker

And there are a ton of back-issues! (I've already seen excerpts from back in the 60's.)

-Matt

JHuneke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if anyone has used this with starphire glass? Is it too abrasive?

KaneH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to use only the original on acrylic. The extra power is to abrasive.

Vividgraphx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had a outbreak of a whitish hair algae grow in their tanks after using these pads? I've got a friend that is trying to pinpoint the problem he is having. The algae is really tough and doesn't pull off. It covered just about everything in the tank, algae blenny couldn't touch it. He was able to beat it once and now it's coming back shortly after using the pads. Any thoughts would help.
Tank from what I understand has no phosphates and aside from this one outbreak has no other issues. we use ro/di and red sea coral pro salt. bi-weekly water changes and also runs a skimmer. I don't have his parameters on hand or I would leave them. Every time we check them them they are spot on.

TexanTrail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out about these pads a few months ago. Apparently my wife has been using them for a long time. I asked her if these would work in my DT. She said propably not, because of the chemicals in them. Glad to hear "The Original" will work. Gotta go get me some!!!

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things are the best. Clean all our acrylic tanks with them. Use a shark mag and the cut a thin sliver of the magic eraser for inside the tank. Cleans an acrylic tank in minutes using a mag. Love it!!!

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These sponges originated from forensic science and were called a forensic sponge. They are used for. Mainly getting finger print dust off of surfaces and other stuff.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using these in my planted aquariums as well and have used them in my pico a couple of times. The Target ones are half the price.

They are awesome for cleaning furniture as well. I was quite impressed the first time I used them.

Like other have said, keep them wet and don't scrub with lots of pressure (not necessary anyway) and don't try to use them on rough surfaces, otherwise you will shred them.

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them all the time in the inside of the glass. Must be the Mr Clean ones as the store brands that I've tried fall apart too quickly. If any pieces fall off I just pluck or scoop them out, the fish don't care about them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back