Reef Flux Scoropiande Interaction

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keen to get people thoughts on Reefflux and if it interacts with Scoropiande fish. I am aware that many such as my Weedy Rhino are rather sensitive to meds and therefore I don't really use them if at all possible.

I am thinking an urchin and sea slug maybe the safest way to deal with this gha outbreak but did want to know if adverse reactions have been seen in Lions, Rhino's etc.

Any thoughts you could offer @lion king would be invaluable.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is reefflux an algaeside, please don't unless you want them all dead. We have a popular one in the states called vibrant. When this happened to me people poo poo me. Since then there are now the so called "experts" saying there "might" be an issue.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is reefflux an algaeside, please don't unless you want them all dead. We have a popular one in the states called vibrant. When this happened to me people poo poo me. Since then there are now the so called "experts" saying there "might" be an issue.

Vibrant has a bad rep over here as well ever since the discovery it wasn't bottled bacteria and a strong algaecide that nukes bio diversity, think most avoid it now.

Reef flux is Fluconazole which is used to treat bryopsis and to a certain extent gha. It seems to have a fairly good rep over here but think I'm going to settle on the sea hare and urchin route.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I used 4 times the recommended dose of reef flux (fluconazole) on my nano mixed reef. No issues whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 25

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still an algaeside, any scorp should never be exposed to any chemical additive, period. The only thing I have ever seen safe, if used correctly, has been prazipro and general cure. There is also a product from fritz that is the same as gc, the name escapes me at the moment. Gc and fritz contain prazi and metro, so a metro product would also be safe. These are the only things I've seen used that doesn't seem to affect scorps in the long run. People still have a hard time accepting the internal damage done by these chemicals, and with some species the failure of organs can happen, andnit doesn't mean the drop dead right there and then. Still no concept even those it happens with humans. But I mean every other chemical product even including antibiotics has the potential of doing internal damage. I get alot of push back from the "experts" on this and have many times put out challenges, for people to document their scorps years after exposure of many of the popular recommendations. Literally 15 years later I'm still waiting. One outlier doesn't mean success when 100s die.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still an algaeside, any scorp should never be exposed to any chemical additive, period. The only thing I have ever seen safe, if used correctly, has been prazipro and general cure. There is also a product from fritz that is the same as gc, the name escapes me at the moment. Gc and fritz contain prazi and metro, so a metro product would also be safe. These are the only things I've seen used that doesn't seem to affect scorps in the long run. People still have a hard time accepting the internal damage done by these chemicals, and with some species the failure of organs can happen, andnit doesn't mean the drop dead right there and then. Still no concept even those it happens with humans. But I mean every other chemical product even including antibiotics has the potential of doing internal damage. I get alot of push back from the "experts" on this and have many times put out challenges, for people to document their scorps years after exposure of many of the popular recommendations. Literally 15 years later I'm still waiting. One outlier doesn't mean success when 100s die.
Decision made for me I think, I have a tank full of unsual Scorps who are thriving and I'd leave the hobby if it wiped them out.

Appreciate lots will say otherwise with Reeflux but urchin and seaslugs can deal with this along with a reduction in lighting peroid and intensity.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decision made for me I think, I have a tank full of unsual Scorps who are thriving and I'd leave the hobby if it wiped them out.

Appreciate lots will say otherwise with Reeflux but urchin and seaslugs can deal with this along with a reduction in lighting peroid and intensity.

Are you running a refugium, my tanks run on lower light 5 hrs in the evening while I'm home. Refugiums and barely clean, no algae and no water changes. I check mg and ca every few months.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a refugium, my tanks run on lower light 5 hrs in the evening while I'm home. Refugiums and barely clean, no algae and no water changes. I check mg and ca every few months.
Sadly don't have the space for a refugium it's a smaller sump. I do have a Phosban reactor which keeps things at around 0.08. Nitrates are always high at around 40.

Lights are on for 11 hours in total at 25 percent, it's a mixed reef so I can't reduce much more but can shorten light peroid.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly don't have the space for a refugium it's a smaller sump. I do have a Phosban reactor which keeps things at around 0.08. Nitrates are always high at around 40.

Lights are on for 11 hours in total at 25 percent, it's a mixed reef so I can't reduce much more but can shorten light peroid.

Look into a hob refuge or even an algae reactor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back