OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serpents are cool , I have 3 of them
I’ve always hated urchins for their bulldozing behaviour , and hermits are just a holes .
I had a bunch of hermits in the last tank I had and honestly they seemed like more trouble than they were worth. I was always paranoid about having bigger shells so they wouldn’t murder my snails.

OP
OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35CF9AAC-BFC3-4AF5-BC08-491E259A7CC6.gif
Thank you! Also love the screen name. I’ve always wanted a corvette.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of hermits in the last tank I had and honestly they seemed like more trouble than they were worth. I was always paranoid about having bigger shells so they wouldn’t murder my snails.
No matter what they will murder the snail sitting right beside the empty shell of similar size

I’ve always read hermits we’re not native to living within reefs
But we keep them as scavengers and part of our cuc
My current tank is the first I’ve kept snails , hermits or urchins .
up until this build I have always ended up with a urchin in my sump after catching it bulldozing across my frag racks .

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! Any suggestions on good LFS?
Within a distance you would probably want to drive not really. The LFS I use most is NOVA Tropicals in Woodbridge but it's only 15 minutes away for me. Up closer to you I've shopped at Supreme Reefs many times. Have gotten quite a few frags from them. Nearly always have a great selection and very reasonable prices.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! New to the forum officially, but a long time lurker. I’m from Michigan but currently live in DC.
I joined the hobby many years ago when I lived in Florida and had a 55 gallon reef tank. I was a grad student (in marine biology) and had very little money so I scraped by with some of the cheapest gear I could find. Sold that tank when I moved to DC about six years ago and now my gf has gifted me a 32 gallon bio cube. I’m SO excited to get back into the hobby - and now I have real adult funds so it’s a little less stressful and I have more options.
I’m looking forward to being part of this forum and learning from you all!!

p.s. if a moderator reads this - DC isn’t an option for a state when you register to join.

Welcome and welcome back to the hobby! I'm Lisa. Glad you joined. Last year I was back East, took my mom over the Bay Bridge to see Dr Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture - WOW - made this video for my local TX club while I was there - wouldn't say it is local to you... but way more local to you than me (TX these days) and I'd love to go back in person:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and welcome back to the hobby! I'm Lisa. Glad you joined. Last year I was back East, took my mom over the Bay Bridge to see Dr Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture - WOW - made this video for my local TX club while I was there - wouldn't say it is local to you... but way more local to you than me (TX these days) and I'd love to go back in person:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Thank you so much! These are all really great tips. Definitely going to start a build thread but I’ve got some gear to collect before I get there. Otherwise the thread would be pretttty boring for a while. Excuse me while I spend the next hour of my life on the east pacific aquaculture website…

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Mariah, glad you are here! Fellow Biocube 32 here. I’ve grown softies, LPS and easy sps with stock lights. Sps are birdsnest ( grows almost to fast, constantly fragging) and a monti cap. My tuxedo urchin is my workhorse of the cuc. Best of luck.

OP
OP
MariahP

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Mariah, glad you are here! Fellow Biocube 32 here. I’ve grown softies, LPS and easy sps with stock lights. Sps are birdsnest ( grows almost to fast, constantly fragging) and a monti cap. My tuxedo urchin is my workhorse of the cuc. Best of luck.
This is SO helpful - thank you so much! Did you have to put your rock fairly close to the surface to make everything happy?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is SO helpful - thank you so much! Did you have to put your rock fairly close to the surface to make everything happy?
I hope this helps but if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
E02FEECC-1B09-42BD-8AE0-45A28F4978E7.jpeg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back