Reef moonshiners program

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is there two different test options for ATI?
There is ICP-OES and a newer ICP-MS. Apparently ICP-MS is much more accurate. Some reefing sites sell the MS as a single test for $65, but I found going to this site it was half the price (I haven’t used them though)

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is ICP-OES and a newer ICP-MS. Apparently ICP-MS is much more accurate. Some reefing sites sell the MS as a single test for $65, but I found going to this site it was half the price (I haven’t used them though)

That test is not supported by the moonshiner method.

Supported tests include ATI, Triton, and Oceamo. Of these, the only one offering ICP-MS is Oceamo (to my knowledge).

That test may be found here: https://andremueller.e-junkie.com/product/1758008/Reef-Moonshiner26230393Bs-ICP-MS-Test

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a reason to choose one ati test over the other?
ATI only offers one test version that I’m aware of, but other companies offer a different type of ICP. The skeptic in me isn’t convinced that the other types of ICP is more accurate than the other. Having to pay more doesn’t mean it’s more accurate than the others? You can join the FB group and see if there’s more info there about the difference in ICP testing.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0384.png
There are two different tests on the website. Not sure on which one the shiners are using.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using both test from Oceamo - both the normal ICP and ICP MS and also Triton ICP for (Oceamo´s for nearly 3 years and Triton for more than 7 years). I´m pleased with all three tests.

1683816724503.png

It is very important to note that Oceamo´s tests (both of them) include both real test of nitrate and nitrite with a method there nitrate is analyzed with a no nitrite sensitive method. and a photometric analyze of phosphate along with the normal ICP-OES test of pure phosphorous (0.2 µm filtrate. hence most bacteria is gone from the sample) . (ICP-MS do not report any P test - only the dissolved phosphorous as PO4) I normally use Oceamo or Triton´s normal ICP-OES tests and the more expensive ICP-MS from Oceamo now an then for fine adjustments of the ultra low trace elements

Here is my two last tests - first a ICP-MS test and after that a ICP-OES test

1683817406266.png
1683817112579.png

The latest ICP-OES. I have adjust my Potassium level, my PO4 level and NO3 level during the time between the tests

1683817517590.png
1683817577279.png

Sincerely Lasse

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm still using ATI, as I can pick them up locally for $45, these come with a hefty shipping fee (I believe), so not quite worth the extra cost to me.
i agree, that the shipping from andre is a bit much, but he does it with the idea that the moonshiners buy in bulk as most of the elements he has for us tend to last us quite some time other than flourish and maybe one or two other elements.

i buy my test kits 2 at a time so when i send the 2nd i buy another 2. the shipping (in my case) is worth it since i’ve gotten my results back quicker than using the previous standard ICP.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would be careful about saying it is more accurate. It is often more sensitive to low levels of certain ions, but that does not necessarily make it is more accurate for anything within the detection limits of ICP-OES.

I'd also advise that procedures are not plug and play, and ICP companies need to work out appropriate methods. I do not have equal confidence in all companies currently selling the service.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using both test from Oceamo - both the normal ICP and ICP MS and also Triton ICP for (Oceamo´s for nearly 3 years and Triton for more than 7 years). I´m pleased with all three tests.

FWIW, I too have confidence that these folks know what they are doing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between ICP ICP-MS and the Oceamo ICP-MS test? Does one cover more elements? There’s not much description in either.

Oceamo uses multiple methods and discusses what they are used for here:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is Moonshiners page the only way to purchase Oceamo in the States?

Christoph is the principle behind oceamo (as far as I understand) and he would know.

@Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

for conducting oceamo analyses in the United States you can choose the Reef Monnshiner testkits (we are the contract laboratory). Usually turnaround is fast (in the range of 5-9 days).

Also Aquabiomics has Oceamo testkits available, but the turnaround is slower (since there are less frequent sample shipments back to our lab).

Let me know if you are having further questions!

All the best, Christoph

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,

for conducting oceamo analyses in the United States you can choose the Reef Monnshiner testkits (we are the contract laboratory). Usually turnaround is fast (in the range of 5-9 days).

Also Aquabiomics has Oceamo testkits available, but the turnaround is slower (since there are less frequent sample shipments back to our lab).

Let me know if you are having further questions!

All the best, Christoph
Thanks! I couldn’t find the test kit on Aquabiomics. For Reef Moonshiners, the test is $65 but shipping is another $17, which seems really high for mailing a test.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I couldn’t find the test kit on Aquabiomics. For Reef Moonshiners, the test is $65 but shipping is another $17, which seems really high for mailing a test.
Yeah, I have the same reaction. So the only way to even it out is to buy some refills of elements and add the test kit, but I don't buy elements that often, so it's still pricey for shipping. I know USPS has flat rate boxes and padded envelopes for half that, so I'm not sure why Andre doesn't offer it for the test kits? I'll have to check out the FB group and see if he posted something there about it?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I have the same reaction. So the only way to even it out is to buy some refills of elements and add the test kit, but I don't buy elements that often, so it's still pricey for shipping. I know USPS has flat rate boxes and padded envelopes for half that, so I'm not sure why Andre doesn't offer it for the test kits? I'll have to check out the FB group and see if he posted something there about it?
If you find anything let me know! I can’t swallow a $17 shipping price.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back