Reef moonshiners program

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right, just placed an order and would regret having to spend another $17 if the test that I ordered wasn’t sufficient to start with.
I think you’re fine. The other test covers what you ordered plus some additional things

In addition to the Reef Moonshiner's ICP-OES test, this MS test also measures all the Ultra low trace elements that are important for Photosynthesis and ultimate coral health and coloration, below the detectable levels of all the other ICP tests!

This will allow to identify if any of the Daily elements we dose are in acceptable ranges, or if any of these are truly depleted to zero.

In addition, very crucial elements such as Copper, Selenium, Tin, and Caesium can be verified if any of these are responsible for pale or faded looking corals when truly at zero. So at this point this test is great for troubleshooting once a while along with ICP-OES testing as the standard routine.

It will also help to fine tuning any advanced Reefkeepers dosing regime.

The traditional ICP Assessment tool has been customized to support the Reef Moonshiner ICP Test kits.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you’re fine. The other test covers what you ordered plus some additional things

In addition to the Reef Moonshiner's ICP-OES test, this MS test also measures all the Ultra low trace elements that are important for Photosynthesis and ultimate coral health and coloration, below the detectable levels of all the other ICP tests!

This will allow to identify if any of the Daily elements we dose are in acceptable ranges, or if any of these are truly depleted to zero.

In addition, very crucial elements such as Copper, Selenium, Tin, and Caesium can be verified if any of these are responsible for pale or faded looking corals when truly at zero. So at this point this test is great for troubleshooting once a while along with ICP-OES testing as the standard routine.

It will also help to fine tuning any advanced Reefkeepers dosing regime.

The traditional ICP Assessment tool has been customized to support the Reef Moonshiner ICP Test kits.
The question is, are those numbers/tests making an actual difference in coral health/color? Just asking.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that the $45 test would provide the information needed for dosing. Is that incorrect?

The dosing spreadsheet has three options depending on what ICP you are using.

1684234767600.png

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is, are those numbers/tests making an actual difference in coral health/color? Just asking.
Good question,not sure at all ,if you look the results from glenn from dsr wich dosing none for years and have stunning results?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that the $45 test would provide the information needed for dosing. Is that incorrect?

One test, assuming its accurate, provides info for one one corrective dose. It cannot provide an ongoing maintenance dose.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be receiving my initial order from RMS today. I ordered the icp and the dailies and once I receive the icp results will order the corrections. One question? Is there a starting point that I can start dosing the dailies before I receive the icp results or should I wait for those results to come in?

Last edited:

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I see, is trace elements fluctuate rapidly in our tanks. I run an algae turf scrubber. The algae depletes Iron and magnesium rapidly. It sucks it out like a straw. So, doing an ICP test to find out what needs correction... May be mis leading unless I was doing them at least weekly. Which is cost prohibitive.

I dose a combination of trace elements and realize some may be too high or still too low in my 340 gallon display. I use ChaetoGrow which has 9 core elements for growing macro algae. (I actually had my turf scrubber bleach and die off a few months back. It's believed to be a lack of trace elements over a prolonged period. It's fully recovered now.)

I dose Chaeto grow based on instructions On Sundays and Mondays, I dose 30 ml of each of the Red Sea Trace elements A,B,C, D. This has allowed me to achieve bright colors in my corals and things are going well - Other than I can't keep any elegance corals. Tried twice, they wither and die within 3-4 months. I have many SPS, torches, hammers, several types of mushrooms, all are doing great other than elegances.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll be receiving my initial order from RMS today. I ordered the icp and the dailies and once I receive the icp results will order the corrections. One question? Is there a starting point that I can start dosing the dailies before I receive the icp results or should I wait for those results to come in?
I think you can start dosing the dailies now, just start iodide at 1 drop per 100g to start with. Things that get consumed daily are iron, manganese, chromium, cobalt and iodine. I'm sure there are others, but these are the main "dailies".

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. I’m going to play with the calculator and see if there’s a recommendation for dosages. My tank is a 65 gallon but 47 of actual water volume. Call it 50 for easy math I suppose.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent. I’m going to play with the calculator and see if there’s a recommendation for dosages. My tank is a 65 gallon but 47 of actual water volume. Call it 50 for easy math I suppose.
Use the latest dosing tool (excel spreadsheet) and select the correct ICP tab at the bottom and fill in what you can. I still use ATI, but sometimes Triton when I need to do an emergency test, as Unique Corals is 15 minutes from me.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we should make test tanks comparing for exemple a Moonshiner method vs DSR for exemple, one method dosing a lot of trace elements and one near nothing, would be interessting to see the results. I saw nice tanks in both methods. But are the trace elements really so useful as we think?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we should make test tanks comparing for exemple a Moonshiner method vs DSR for exemple, one method dosing a lot of trace elements and one near nothing, would be interessting to see the results. I saw nice tanks in both methods. But are the trace elements really so useful as we think?

DSR doses near nothing?

“It relies on reliable dosing & monitoring of 12 core elements using hobby test kits .”

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSR dose only follwing nothing else:
Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
Strontium
Boron
Iodide
Manganese
Iron

they not dose:

Cobalt
Chromium
Vanadium
Bromine
Fluoride
Barium
Molybdenum
Nickel
Zinc
Tin
rubidium
selen
cupper
lithium

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSR dose only follwing nothing else:
Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
Strontium
Boron
Iodide
Manganese
Iron

they not dose:

Cobalt
Chromium
Vanadium
Bromine
Fluoride
Barium
Molybdenum
Nickel
Zinc
Tin
rubidium
selen
cupper
lithium
Ignoring the others because they lack value, replenish through impurities from correcting the other tested elements or because there’s no hobby grade test for them? Would love to have a solution that solves for less. Still doing ICP as my time more valuable than the $50 spent manually conducting all the required test although much less than Trident or MS.

Plus I plan to test iron as I expect the Fuge to strip that and manganese

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me how many of the trace elements are not detectable by ICP? On my ATI test from a few years ago, there were many that were not detected at all, and were not flagged by ATI, meaning that the test wasnt sensitive enough to detect the element at its natural concentrations. These were: nickel, chromium, iron, copper, selenium, zinc, and Tin. Are the New ICP tests able to detect these? Or for RMS, are these just dosed at some low level, and not tested? If these are blindly dosed, then what makes RMS different than other types of trace mineral dosing?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. get onto the facebook page, it's mentioned numerous times there.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back