Reef Octopus VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH)

schaNYC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean, that’s one person in this thread. Your opinion is easily swayed. I picked up two 8’s for Black Friday. These have great reviews, are the only options I see at this price point, and have a two year warranty.

“BRS having nothing but bad feedback” All the pumps have five star reviews with only one bad review I could find on the 6. Why would BRS keep selling a product there having that many issues with?

I would think if this was more of a predominant issue we would see more of it. What pump alternative are you going with?

There's a lot more negative reviews on BRS for the vectra vs varios.

@Bulk Reef Supply @randyBRS: Perhaps you guys can clear the rumors surrounding the Varios pumps?

"They (BRS) mentioned they've had nothing but negative feed back from the Varios line of pumps and have dealt with quite a few incidents with these pumps. BRS recommended I sell the pump and get something else. Also they advised me they would be moving away from carrying the Varios line of pumps due to the number of issues they've had. "

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot more negative reviews on BRS for the vectra vs varios.

@Bulk Reef Supply @randyBRS: Perhaps you guys can clear the rumors surrounding the Varios pumps?

"They (BRS) mentioned they've had nothing but negative feed back from the Varios line of pumps and have dealt with quite a few incidents with these pumps. BRS recommended I sell the pump and get something else. Also they advised me they would be moving away from carrying the Varios line of pumps due to the number of issues they've had. "

We have no plans to move away from the VarioS pumps. They're highly rated by our customers, as well as staff, which is definitely a contributor to us choosing them as a doorbuster deal this year. :) Thanks!

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have no plans to move away from the VarioS pumps. They're highly rated by our customers, as well as staff, which is definitely a contributor to us choosing them as a doorbuster deal this year. :) Thanks!
I'm picking up more Varios pumps when they become available again. Varios pumps have my vote of confidence which is a sentiment echoed by most customers and Brs staff as above.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a Varios pump on my tank and I LOVE it.

It's definitely the quietest pump, with plenty of flow, that I've had....practically silent (and I've had Ehiem Compact series, Sicce silent, QuietOne...).

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd... cause one of your staff members informed me you guys were moving away from this particular line of pumps. They also mentioned they had went through two of the pumps on their personal tanks and wasn't impressed with the overall lifespan/issues that had occurred. Sounds like its time for a team pow wow to get everyone on the same page.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the pumps running my Skimz SM 202 and absolutely love it. It is super quiet and runs great. If it were not for the controller I would not know the pump is running. I am looking to purchase another one to use for my manifold.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similiar experience when my Gyrex150 quit after only 3 months.

My RODC2500s on my skimmer has been solid for a few years now.

I keep a spare pump for my aquamaxx skimmer and a few spare main pumps but these DC pumps for skimmers and main pumps dont apoear to have much return on investment for what they cost.
I just picked up two of the 6s for almost $90 off each.

Considering my prev gen Rodc2500s is still running, ill chance it.

The Neptune Cors should be well into having the bugs worked out by the time these two yeat warranties are up and/when they go out.

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if someone can help me with my Varios-8. Basically, what do I do with this thing? I’ve never set up a return pump before so all of these parts are really confusing and there is no instruction manual. I have a Red Sea reefer 750 if that matters, I’m also trying to run a biotek marine reactor that I don’t know how to set up either, this is hard! Lol.

What parts do I need to set up the varios 8 that don’t come with it? Thanks for any assistance!

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also trying to set up a manifold for the reactor but may have to give that up also because it’s just too confusing.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also trying to set up a manifold for the reactor but may have to give that up also because it’s just too confusing.
Maybe my new build pics will give you an idea? I went 1 1/4 in pipe all the way up my return and for the manifold came off at 3/4 cause most reactors and stuff are that size or smaller it seemed.

0C94E6E1-96E9-41FE-9A1D-4F426AC4EF6C.jpeg

BBF9A26E-3CD6-4690-A1F2-FD29D362CD55.jpeg

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe my new build pics will give you an idea? I went 1 1/4 in pipe all the way up my return and for the manifold came off at 3/4 cause most reactors and stuff are that size or smaller it seemed.

0C94E6E1-96E9-41FE-9A1D-4F426AC4EF6C.jpeg

BBF9A26E-3CD6-4690-A1F2-FD29D362CD55.jpeg
Also added the included float switch into my overflow. Couldn’t be happier!

FE6F92BB-5B45-4584-8203-AB79D68B2871.jpeg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m wondering if someone can help me with my Varios-8. Basically, what do I do with this thing? I’ve never set up a return pump before so all of these parts are really confusing and there is no instruction manual. I have a Red Sea reefer 750 if that matters, I’m also trying to run a biotek marine reactor that I don’t know how to set up either, this is hard! Lol.

What parts do I need to set up the varios 8 that don’t come with it? Thanks for any assistance!

What I do before I start buying plumbing parts at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. is draw picture on a piece of paper of the exact path I need the plumbing to go.
I try and draw everything to scale relative to the piece of paper. I also use a straight edge for straight plumbing lines. Mark which lines are hard pvc and which ones you want to use a flexible tubing on.
Then make a list of all the 90's, tees, bushings ( transferring from one pvc size to another) valves and unions.
Then take the drawing and list to the store.
I've even taken a pump to the store with me before because I wasn't exactly sure which fitting I would need.
Once there if you aren't sure, don't be afraid to ask for help. If you don't find help at one store, go to the next.
Also you may have to go to multiple stores to find all the pieces you need.
And save your receipts, so those extra pieces can be returned.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are your options
1) Begin learning about all the available types of unions, reducers, barbs, slips, valves and procedures for cutting, dry fitting and gluing PVC.
2) Find a friend who is a reefer and has plumbed a few.
3) Find a plumber and teach them about the reefing specific valves and plumbing issues and let them install
4) Soft plumb from barb to barb using c clamps (you give up valves and flow meters.

Use a lot of unions if you hard plump so you don't have to constantly cut out plumbing.

I use unions but i also cheat and run small sections of soft here and there so that i can move or change pumps and do pretty much zero cutting.

Do not use any clear or semi clear if you you are going to be running fuge lights diwn there.

Go to BRS and look at all 100 or so pieces of unions, elbows, valves etc they have and youll start to get ideas.

Take your time.

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are your options
1) Begin learning about all the available types of unions, reducers, barbs, slips, valves and procedures for cutting, dry fitting and gluing PVC.
2) Find a friend who is a reefer and has plumbed a few.
3) Find a plumber and teach them about the reefing specific valves and plumbing issues and let them install
4) Soft plumb from barb to barb using c clamps (you give up valves and flow meters.

Use a lot of unions if you hard plump so you don't have to constantly cut out plumbing.

I use unions but i also cheat and run small sections of soft here and there so that i can move or change pumps and do pretty much zero cutting.

Do not use any clear or semi clear if you you are going to be running fuge lights diwn there.

Go to BRS and look at all 100 or so pieces of unions, elbows, valves etc they have and youll start to get ideas.

Take your time.

I'm thinking about re-doing my return pump plumbing by adding unions. Right now it's a VarioS-8, check valve, ball valve, 2" vinyl tubing, and then to the main plumbing.

Unions take up more length. Any tips or tricks? Do a bunch of 90 degree bends?

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about re-doing my return pump plumbing by adding unions. Right now it's a VarioS-8, check valve, ball valve, 2" vinyl tubing, and then to the main plumbing.

Unions take up more length. Any tips or tricks? Do a bunch of 90 degree bends?
Just shorter pipe between them!!

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, the issue is I have already purchased all of the plumbing parts found in this thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/erics-red-sea-reefer-525xl-build.290743/page-4

I am trying to emulate his build for the manifold and purchased all the parts on his list from BRS. My issues are: does the 1 inch pvc I have to directly into the varios 8? I just don’t know how to connect it and get this started. Also I have a different return pump than his build and a different reactor, so not sure what changes I need to make with that, I have the 4x16 version of this reactor : http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/biotek-marine-bio-series-media-reactors.html

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I piecked up a Vario-S 6 & 8 from BRS for my new build; going with 2 for redundancies. Have great expectations here. If these fail me the ABYZZ is the only other option I will consider.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I piecked up a Vario-S 6 & 8 from BRS for my new build; going with 2 for redundancies. Have great expectations here. If these fail me the ABYZZ is the only other option I will consider.
No consideration for a Red Dragon?

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, the issue is I have already purchased all of the plumbing parts found in this thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/erics-red-sea-reefer-525xl-build.290743/page-4

I am trying to emulate his build for the manifold and purchased all the parts on his list from BRS. My issues are: does the 1 inch pvc I have to directly into the varios 8? I just don’t know how to connect it and get this started. Also I have a different return pump than his build and a different reactor, so not sure what changes I need to make with that, I have the 4x16 version of this reactor : http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/biotek-marine-bio-series-media-reactors.html
Definitely do not make a direct connection. Use a screw on union

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back