Reef roid feeding, what the heck is this?!

jtlong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does my hammer like the roids?! What is this?!
I direct fed with a syringe with the pump off. Most of these guys closed up, Duncan seemed to let off some of this and my Acan did too (finicky guy). Are the roid raging or what?!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

90E55297-DB9C-4D4D-897A-5DB69E76F81D.jpeg E0C42B65-97C6-40FC-88E6-0BC2908314C0.jpeg

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to direct feed the euphyllia any roids as they will "slime" like that. They will get it from the water column. Acans/micro love direct feeding

SandNRocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers will eat reef roids but when they do that, they arent hungry/dont need it in my experience. I have 3 hammers, all eat roids and all will do this from time to time if i feed too often.

I have one that hasnt eaten in like 2-3 weeks despite me trying. When they dont, I usually carefully suck all of that stuff out with a syringe before turning the pump back on so it doesnt get in the water column.

If they eat it, theyll pull it all into their mouths in the center over the course of like 5-10 mins

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk I haven't had any luck feeding hammers and frogspawn.

Or plating montipora

I tend to go with tidal gardens and their reports on feeding with reef roids - some corals respond really well (favia, platygyra) and others don't seem to do anything but spit it out.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my hammers do the same thing- reef roids, benepets, any powder coral food they slime. They will get it from the water column, but if you want to spot feed them just do a very small amount. I find they slime less if you just poof a cloud around them from a few inches away.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that we have any real conclusive evidence that hammers (or lots of other corals) actually respond to feeding at all.

Certainly something worth exploring

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used to feed my coral mysis. With this new tank I purchased some reef roids to feed. The zoas seem to like it and my hammer does too the torch not so much. It looks like yours like its spitting it out. The torch eats mysis fine as do the hammer and larger zoas.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My euphyllia have never really liked to be directly fed reef roids. I've also noticed that if they eat it they usually expell it undigested later. Some like shrimp and other frozen food more. If I do directly feed them it's just a very small amount.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As other have pointed out, euphyllia will accept meaty foods like mysis more than a powdered food like reef roids. That being said, I see my hammer garden sliming like yours when I overfeed them.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on Hammers (I direct feed mine anyway) but my Gonis have done very well with Reef Roids direct feeding.

SandNRocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen my hammers accept mysis or any other food - anyone have conclusive evidence of this?
Mine eat reef roids. My old wall hammer would eat mysis. I target fed like above and it gathers it all and pulls it into its mouth. The green hammer just split to two mouths and is hit or miss. Sometimes it wont eat. Hard to see but in the photo you can see the gold hammer has gathered all of the reef roids and has a clump by its mouth. The green one is still working on pulling everything in but its gonna eat in like 5 min. Photos are like 3 minutes apart but you can see most of it is in its mouth by the third picture.
IMG_1550.jpeg
IMG_1551.jpeg
IMG_1552.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 185 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back