Reef Safe Plastics

Artisan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm a little late on this thread, but I do a lot of printing with PLA and thought this might interest you guys. In order to smooth ABS plastic prints, people most often use acetone vapor to get a glossy finish. I tried this method on the PLA plastic that I print with, but there was no change in the surface texture. None at all. I eventually completely submerged the PLA print in acetone for roughly a week and absolutely nothing happened. It was no more pliable than before. So far I haven't been able to find much more information than this on their PLA plastic, but I will see what I can find.

Our polylactic acid (PLA) filament is the most consistent and reliable material for use in Series 1 3D printers. PLA is a corn-based biodegradable plastic and is excellent for general use printing.

OP
OP
cope413

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need dichloromethane to smooth PLA. Unfortunately, DCM is not something you want to mess with outside of a lab. You can wet sand PLA with 220-1000 grit paper to get a smooth, shiny finish, but it takes a while.

Artisan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually get a really good finish on my prints. Down to 0.06 and PLA has a bit of a glossy finish anyway. I'm just surprised that PLA wouldn't dissolve in something so corrosive. I'd think it would last quite a long time in a tank, but then again, that is a much more complex chemistry. I'll have to see how much my 3D designer would charge to replicate some parts for me. It would be fun to make a calcium reactor head as well as some parts for a higher end protein skimmer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually get a really good finish on my prints. Down to 0.06 and PLA has a bit of a glossy finish anyway. I'm just surprised that PLA wouldn't dissolve in something so corrosive. I'd think it would last quite a long time in a tank, but then again, that is a much more complex chemistry. I'll have to see how much my 3D designer would charge to replicate some parts for me. It would be fun to make a calcium reactor head as well as some parts for a higher end protein skimmer.

I know this is an old question...

Depending on exactly what PLA is used, it may degrade too slowly.

It also won't be dependent on bacterial enzymes for local degradation of the pellet surface the way biopellets are, and so may be not much different than soluble organic carbon dosing (that is, not localizing the bacterial growth to the pellet surface).

Prozium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, what about graphite infused ABS? "ABS base and infused with 5% graphite powder, resulting in a very smooth and lower friction part."

I want to make a bushing for a part I'm thinking of making for my pico build, and the low friction properties would be nice.

so... is it safe?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, thanks for posting. I hope to get a 3 D Printer this summer if all goes well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, what about graphite infused ABS? "ABS base and infused with 5% graphite powder, resulting in a very smooth and lower friction part."

I want to make a bushing for a part I'm thinking of making for my pico build, and the low friction properties would be nice.

so... is it safe?

The graphite is OK in the plastic. The ABS (acrylonitrile/butadiene/styrene) is OK once the unpolymerizized monomers have had a chance to degas a bit (the smell). I used an ABS refugium for a few years.

Prozium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, thanks for posting. I hope to get a 3 D Printer this summer if all goes well.
They are a LOT of fun.

The graphite is OK in the plastic. The ABS (acrylonitrile/butadiene/styrene) is OK once the unpolymerizized monomers have had a chance to degas a bit (the smell). I used an ABS refugium for a few years.
Thanks for the info.

Prozium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this PET+ be OK to use? The "+" seems to be some copolyester.
here are the links to the 2 data sheets they have on it.
https://d11mzknh295tta.cloudfront.net/static/docs/MadeSolid_PET+_Technical_Data.pdf
https://d11mzknh295tta.cloudfront.net/static/docs/MSDS_PET+.pdf

I also need to know about making it water tight. For ABS I was looking in to dipping the parts in a diluted lye solution. Do I need to do the same for PETG/PET+... would lye work?
PET+ is advortized as hydrophobic, if that matters for sealing.

Unfortunately the company wasn't of any help in this. :/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, what about polyester or polyether based TPEs? Any potential issues with either?

They should be fine, although a polyester may very slowly degrade, depending on which polyester.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this PET+ be OK to use? The "+" seems to be some copolyester.
here are the links to the 2 data sheets they have on it.
https://d11mzknh295tta.cloudfront.net/static/docs/MadeSolid_PET+_Technical_Data.pdf
https://d11mzknh295tta.cloudfront.net/static/docs/MSDS_PET+.pdf

I also need to know about making it water tight. For ABS I was looking in to dipping the parts in a diluted lye solution. Do I need to do the same for PETG/PET+... would lye work?
PET+ is advortized as hydrophobic, if that matters for sealing.

Unfortunately the company wasn't of any help in this. :/

Why dip it in lye?

Prozium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dip it in lye?
Do to the manufacturing process, it leaves very small gaps and would eventually allow water to leak. The lye solution melts the outside a little, which both smooths and seals the part. (from what I understand with ABS anyway.)

I read a suggestion about using a mineral oil and bees wax mix to seal the inside, and I also thought about epoxy coating the parts that water would touch.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about great stuff insulating foam?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do to the manufacturing process, it leaves very small gaps and would eventually allow water to leak. The lye solution melts the outside a little, which both smooths and seals the part. (from what I understand with ABS anyway.)

I read a suggestion about using a mineral oil and bees wax mix to seal the inside, and I also thought about epoxy coating the parts that water would touch.

Do you recall where you saw that?

FWIW, I don't see how lye solution will have that effect (although I've never tried it), or that water would penetrate this very hydrophobic plastic anyway. I do see how wax would seal it, but I used an untreated ABS sump for many years with no issues that I ever detected.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about great stuff insulating foam?

I don't know how much monomer might get into the water after curing, but I wouldn't be a fan of the reactive ingredients in it. It may be OK, but the only way to know that is from others using it without issue, not from the ingredients.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back