Reefkeeping on a Budget: Tips and Tricks for Saving Money

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you tired of breaking the bank to maintain your reef tank? I would like to put together a list of cost-effective strategies and DIY projects for the budget-conscious hobbyist that we can share with the masses. We're looking for REAL tips here and not just complaints about pricing! :p Thank you!

What are your Reef Tank on a Budget Tips and Tricks for Saving Money?

1682963392297.png

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tip: Buy in bulk to save money on salt mix, test kits, and other consumables.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order reef crystals through petsmart and set up auto ship only to cancel at a later time if you want. . gets you buckets for $30 make your own kalk, Neo nitro, diy coral snow, Randy’s 2 part etc.. that will save tons on the chemical aspect of it all… make your own tanks, sumps lights and save more haha! Go fishing and fill it up! :zany-face:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I never did as I’m anti-social ha, but join a local club. I’ve heard they do group buys, trade/sell/give to other members, have loaner equipment as well as being able to find and trust someone to take care of your stuff if you go away for a bit and help out if you ever have an emergency. It always sounded good to me but I don’t have anything local and can’t drive anymore otherwise I’d be in one

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local hobbiest have lots of extra gear laying around. If you tap into a local group can get things on discount.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm DIY and cheap....Petco dollar a gallon tanks...drilled the tank myself, Fiji Cube baffle kit for the sump, used Radion, homemade hood, modified stand, Reef Crystals on sale, used chiller and skimmer....but the realization is that in order to DIY you need the experience and tools to allow you to do it...as well as to repair the used stuff ....so its great if you already own the welder, radial arm saw, drills,clamps, plumbing and electrical tools etc etc...otherwise the tools cost way more than what you're saving

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you tired of breaking the bank to maintain your reef tank? I would like to put together a list of cost-effective strategies and DIY projects for the budget-conscious hobbyist that we can share with the masses. We're looking for REAL tips here and not just complaints about pricing! :p Thank you!

1682963392297.png
stop buying water from the lfs!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choosing what sort of reef you keep can greatly influence how much you spend.
1. For starters, if you are on a budget, bigger is not always better. This seems rather obvious but I am kind of surprised how many posts I read on here where the aquarist knew that they were spending more $ up front for a bigger tank and equipment but then were kind of taken back by how much $ it took to keep it stocked.
2. Keep more common and easier livestock. Generally the tried and true fish and coral are more economically priced and also quite often more hardy.
3. Use Instant Ocean salt. It is reliable, a lot of the public aquariums use it for that reason and it is the cheapest salt that I know of. It also can be doctored up with additives to meet the needs of any reef.
4. I have found the tried and true simple principles of reef keeping based on biology to be cheaper and more reliable than buying a lot of tech and equipment. Everything breaks so the simpler your tank system is, the less likely it is going to suffer a crash from equipment failure if it doesn't rely on a lot of equipment.
5. Buy a tank and keep it for a long time. Its expensive to keep upgrading every year or two. Long term tanks are more stable and develop a beauty from having a mature appearance, like something you might see diving or snorkling.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing would probably be invest in a RODI unit. I'm not sure what LFS sells their water for, but that seems like a tedious process and an expense not needed. Otherwise, this hobby isnt cheap in general, but follow a DIY person and learn from them if money is an issue.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DIY as much as possible, buy things on sale or used.

For me I have 2 homemade sumps, and my display tanks are dollar per gallon rimmed tanks I drilled myself.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

1682963392297.png
Trick is to actually know what you are buying. Two points to this is 1) you will save money by not killing livestock and 2) what one person calls an "rainbow xyz" another person may be reasonable and call it a "ultra xyz" and charge 30% less. Know the corals, know the type, reasonably know their color variations and when in doubt do a search to see prices.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 105 80.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back