Reefkeeping on a Budget: Tips and Tricks for Saving Money

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Walmart window screen kit and roller, BRS plastic mesh and hangers to make a top. For my additives I use Voss water bottles. I had my wood stand built and made my own sump with an Petco Aqueon tank and Lowes plumbing parts. What you save on money does cost more in time. If I had to do it over again, I would probably get an all-in-one.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY everything. The mark ups are crazy for anything aquarium related.
- Glass shop quote+ aquarium sealant = new tank
- lumber, glue, screws, staples, paint= new stand
-acrylic sheets and weld on 16 = all random accessories/holders
- start cultures for phyto, pods, live foods
Tons of ways to save a buck.

NkSde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, interesting on the IV bags, I'd love to hear more about that.
So for things that do not precipitate i find dosing using a constant drip to the desired levels keeps things swuared away cheap

used a drip irrigation kit from my wifes plants initially verified flow rate on the regulator and applied it to my dosing various things
Mbacter, cheatgro, stuff like that.

also comes in handy for top off control

mind you I’m also in a 20gal nano so my dosing measurements are substantially less than some larger systems

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So for things that do not precipitate i find dosing using a constant drip to the desired levels keeps things swuared away cheap

used a drip irrigation kit from my wifes plants initially verified flow rate on the regulator and applied it to my dosing various things
Mbacter, cheatgro, stuff like that.

also comes in handy for top off control

mind you I’m also in a 20gal nano so my dosing measurements are substantially less than some larger systems
I was looking for something for my 10g frag tank. That sounds like a super interesting idea. Any links to Amazon for your DIY setup and photos?

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go all in on the biggest tank you can fit and be satisfied with. Otherwise you'll find yourself with a million other tanks and buying more equipment for several tanks instead of have 1 ****** tank.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in the right equipment and even livestock. Buy reliable equipment that will last you many years, buying a 300 dollar pump once is better than buying a 200 dollar one twice. RODI units are the best investment you can make. For live stock know what you and your tank are capable to support, for example if you are in your early stages of your tank and are still learning you do not want to buy a 500$ sps frag just for it to die. Not saying that you shouldn’t buy it, but buy it at the right time.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....so its great if you already own the welder, radial arm saw, drills,clamps, plumbing and electrical tools etc etc...otherwise the tools cost way more than what you're saving
I love my tools!

Definitely seek out friends in the hobby. I got a buddy who gave me a bunch of softies and LPS when I was starting out. Since then his tank crashed and I happily loaded him right back up. Pay it forward (or in this case, backwards?)!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While still available t5 grow light from Amazon 4,6,8 bulb fixtures 24, 48 inch are cheap. With ATI bulbs and a 6 bulb your in for under 300.00

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use natural filtration methods like macroalgae or a refugium instead of media reactors.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy good equipment upfront, not necessarily the most expensive. Buy cheap buy twice.
Buy your own ro/di system.
Buy no name corals.
Make your own frozen food.
Trade frags with reefers.
Start with the size tank you feel will fit spot you want to put tank.
Be happy with what you have and learn you don’t need the newest fads, only change or add equipment if it has a real proven need.
The hardest part for many is don’t just keep adding fish and corals when you already have enough they all need room to grow.
Don’t make multiple major changes at same time and crash your tank.
Do it yourself is only good for some people especially if you want it to look like a nice piece of furniture in a room.
Read and research always for all new reefers before you buy anything.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll pm to avoid hijacking

Hey no worries on sharing and better yet why not create a thread about it for us all to learn!! Link here if you do please.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While still available t5 grow light from Amazon 4,6,8 bulb fixtures 24, 48 inch are cheap. With ATI bulbs and a 6 bulb your in for under 300.00
That is not a bad price considering how expensive lights can get!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back