ReefMat 500

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a ReefMat 500 on a Reefer 525XL? Is it too small? I know it’s 139 gallons but my actual water volume is closer to 125 gallons which is lower than the recommended volume for the ReefMat 500.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have it. I'll be honest but if you're that close to (over) the recommended minimum volume for the 1200 then why consider the 500. Any short term savings will be negated by potential increased roll use and problems caused by not having enough flow through the lower flow unit. Just my 10 cents/ pence.

OP
OP
G

G’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was trying to save some room in my sump and I bought the next size up when I bought my skimmer and really haven’t seen any benefit for doing that.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size is a fair point which I hadn't considered...

My main concern with the reefmat (and other rollers for that matter) is that the advance is triggered by inlet water level. There doesn't appear to be any compensation for flow rate. It will advance the roll when the water level rises but this could be caused by both a restriction caused by debris or simply a higher flow rate. I know that the App has a few settings but I'm not convinced that you can simply set a higher level and I don't think that the sensor can be lifted up.

If you're running a 525 with a Reefmat 500 I think you would be constantly triggering the roll advance. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.

torresj36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. For what it is worth. I installed a 500 in my WB130.4. I was able to turn up my return pump and open the valve versus the standard filter sock setup. Installed it 6 weeks ago and am just a 41 out of 91 feet of roll used. I am impressed with the design as it allows for flow. You are also able to adjust the roll rate to your liking. I actually increased the rate from stock to double. Added benefit is my ATO water lasts longer as the sump level stays consistent. Hope this helps.

billyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. i have a reefmat 1200 on my 180 gal and a reefmat 500 on my water box peninsula 4820 (@110 gal) i do have adjustable return pump ( reef octo's) and gate valves . easy to dial in. i'm on 6 weeks and 43.6ft. but 59" used at one time while i was cleaning sand and running hose into reefmat. next time i'll clamp a filter sock to sump and run it thru there. both my reefmat's avg 9" a day on average. even got my 1200 reefmat to fit in my trigger 39. just wish reefmat has a 90 degree fitting for inlet to save more space.

Spasmolotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. i have a reefmat 1200 on my 180 gal and a reefmat 500 on my water box peninsula 4820 (@110 gal) i do have adjustable return pump ( reef octo's) and gate valves . easy to dial in. i'm on 6 weeks and 43.6ft. but 59" used at one time while i was cleaning sand and running hose into reefmat. next time i'll clamp a filter sock to sump and run it thru there. both my reefmat's avg 9" a day on average. even got my 1200 reefmat to fit in my trigger 39. just wish reefmat has a 90 degree fitting for inlet to save more space.
Is there any chance that you could post some photos.
I have a trigger systems 39 and have been trying to find a roller filter that will fit.
thank you

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a ReefMat 500 on a Reefer 525XL? Is it too small? I know it’s 139 gallons but my actual water volume is closer to 125 gallons which is lower than the recommended volume for the ReefMat 500.
What you end up going with and what’s the outcome

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back