ReefMat Roll Change so difficult??

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one who thinks the design of the ReefMat is far from optimal?
Specially the mount for the "used roll" side.

I'm posting this to see if I'm missing something or in case someone has some tricks to make the roll change process smoother.

I've had the ReefMat 1200 on a 260gal tank working for 3 months. In average I have to change to a new roll every 2 weeks. That's 6 roll changes so far.
And every single time it's a pain in the a**.

The first 2 times I watched some YouTube videos to understand all the steps.
After that I've showed 2 aquarium helpers (for when I travel) how to change the roll... and every time I'm kind of waiting when one of the many small plastic parts will break.

The worst part is removing the used roll from the rear red "take up shaft".
Is there a trick to remove the roll without forcing it and having red parts flying all over?

I'm seriously thinking of ordering spare parts to have at hand for when some parts break.

Thanks!

20231008_113135.jpg

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have anything to add on changing rolls but changing rolls every two weeks is concerning. You have to be way over stocked if you are going through a roll at that pace. My Reef N Roll on my WB25g lasts about 6 weeks on average. I run a pair of Klir on my WB 130.4 and those can last me 2-3 months between changes.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to change it every 2 weeks? That's a lot. I have a 1200 on my 300 gallon tank and I change it every 2 months. I've found it pretty straightforward to swap out a roll. I agree the hardest part is getting the old roll off, but I don't have to force it to the point where I'm breaking parts to get it off. Not sure what's going on with yours.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I use a Clarisea so this may not work on the ReefMat....

But when I can tell the roll is getting near the end, I go ahead and get my next roll and tape the end of the old roll to the beginning of the new roll. I then pull it through manually so that I don't have to disassemble everything.

It ends up wasting maybe 1% of the roll doing this, but saves me a bunch of time. Hope this works for you.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too struggle with removing the old roll. I have to unwind the whole dang thing. It's annoying. I also cannot get it to connect to the reefbeat app, and it only works in offline mode.

Looking forward to some improvements for sure.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Removing the old roll is the worst part by far. I’ve yet to find an easy way to do it. Last time I managed to accidentally push back one of my nails while doing it and it hurt like hell.

The other thing I struggle with is after putting the new roll in and winding it a bit then sticking the part in that goes down into the water over it, I always manage to unravel the roll from the take up side. Takes me a good 4-5 tries.

I’m only changing rolls every 3 months or so, so I don’t get a lot of practice.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my reefmat 1200 I would use a butter knife and place it on the counter then place one part of the uptake roll red parts on the tip of the knife then press down. Once one of the red pieces come out the other slips right out like a bone on some ribs. I never undid the roll to get those red parts out.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one who thinks the design of the ReefMat is far from optimal?
Specially the mount for the "used roll" side.

I'm posting this to see if I'm missing something or in case someone has some tricks to make the roll change process smoother.

I've had the ReefMat 1200 on a 260gal tank working for 3 months. In average I have to change to a new roll every 2 weeks. That's 6 roll changes so far.
And every single time it's a pain in the a**.

The first 2 times I watched some YouTube videos to understand all the steps.
After that I've showed 2 aquarium helpers (for when I travel) how to change the roll... and every time I'm kind of waiting when one of the many small plastic parts will break.

The worst part is removing the used roll from the rear red "take up shaft".
Is there a trick to remove the roll without forcing it and having red parts flying all over?

I'm seriously thinking of ordering spare parts to have at hand for when some parts break.

Thanks!

20231008_113135.jpg
This is crazy. I would probably end up breaking something if I had to disassemble that much stuff just to change a roll of fleece. Seeing this makes me glad I decided against using a roller.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Instructions are printed on the new roll. Takes 5 minutes once you are familiar. 15 minutes for the first timers and 5 minutes thereafter. I hate Red Sea but this is the only device I like from them.

FishyLips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use needle nose pliers to pull out one of the center rolls at a time. Sometimes, the roll will pull out with the red half of the tube, but other times it will not.
Change your setting for how much of the roll is used with each "turn" because every two weeks is insane, and unaffordable. Mine lasts at least 3 months on a 625 Liter tank (130 gal?).
I had trouble at first, but now it takes less than five minutes. Patience and remember smooth is fast.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, that usage is WAY to high, and your used roll doesnt look all that used. It sounds like youre pushing to much water through it, and likely need a second unit or simply a larger one.

Second, Aside from removing the old roll, Everything about changing the roll is pretty easy as far as im concerned. Takes me all of 5 min.

Last contact preconsales at gmail.com for cheaper, longer rolls.

OP
OP
Ironfish

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, that usage is WAY to high, and your used roll doesnt look all that used. It sounds like youre pushing to much water through it, and likely need a second unit or simply a larger one.

Second, Aside from removing the old roll, Everything about changing the roll is pretty easy as far as im concerned. Takes me all of 5 min.

Last contact preconsales at gmail.com for cheaper, longer rolls.
I run 2 Vectra M2 return pumps (one at 50w and the other at 65w) and the ReefMat 1200 is their biggest unit.
Not sure what other fleece rollers are out there.

All I heard before deciding for it was that rolls usually lasts between 4 and 8 weeks... so I'm not happy at all to go through them every 2 weeks.
I like fish and have a good amount of heavy eaters in my 260g (1000lt) mixed reef so I knew I was going to be closer to 4... but not double that.

Agree that removing the old roll is the hardest part but there are too many small and fragile parts that need to be removed and reinstalled in order for the roll change.

I'll check that longer roll

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am assuming is going on is that your flow rate(sorry cant convert watts to GPH) through the roller is keeping the water level high. If your water level in the unit is naturally high it wont take much blockage to raise the water level to trigger the roll to spin.

On mine the water level is about 1/4" above the lower internal pipe, I have about 600 GPH running through them(mine are the smaller ones BTW) The fastest I have used a roll was 6 weeks. Usually takes 10-12.

As far as the fragile parts things goes....Unless youre like Lenny I dont see it being an issue. I am not careful with mine and and snap it together hard.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had to make one roll change on my Reefmat 1200 so far and it was pretty straightforward and did not require dissembling everything. To pull out the old roll, I only had to remove parts from one side of the roll holder (maybe I got lucky with the first swap out.

Next time I will use @Floyd- suggestion and tap the new roll to the old one to further eliminate some of the steps.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To reduce roll usage, try @Enderg60 's suggestion and raise the Reefmat so it sits higher in the sump.

To reduce roll usage when you are away for extended periods of time, you could get one Marineland water polishers which you can easily put in and take out as needed. I am purchasing one so I have it on hand to polish the water after major tank cleanings so I can conserve roller fleece.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefmat 500 has been on the same roll for roughly 2 months. It doesn't seem to be that hard to replace, I have not replaced it just yet. will report back.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My roller is a diy , but I just staple the new roll onto the old roll to feed it, the old roll pulls it thru, would that work on this Red Sea model?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back