OP
Ironfish

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To reduce roll usage, try @Enderg60 's suggestion and raise the Reefmat so it sits higher in the sump.

To reduce roll usage when you are away for extended periods of time, you could get one Marineland water polishers which you can easily put in and take out as needed. I am purchasing one so I have it on hand to polish the water after major tank cleanings so I can conserve roller fleece.
Good idea the Marineland water polisher! Such old school equipment

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea the Marineland water polisher! Such old school equipment
I went away for a few days on business. Got back tonight and scraped the glass and remounted some coral frags. My Reefmat 1200 apparently went crazy since I just checked the log and it ate through 86" of roll today vs 26" each of the last two days. Next time I do a major clean I am going to turn off the Reefmat and run the Marineland Polisher which I will get from Petco tomorrow!

OP
OP
Ironfish

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am assuming is going on is that your flow rate(sorry cant convert watts to GPH) through the roller is keeping the water level high. If your water level in the unit is naturally high it wont take much blockage to raise the water level to trigger the roll to spin.

On mine the water level is about 1/4" above the lower internal pipe, I have about 600 GPH running through them(mine are the smaller ones BTW) The fastest I have used a roll was 6 weeks. Usually takes 10-12.

As far as the fragile parts things goes....Unless youre like Lenny I dont see it being an issue. I am not careful with mine and and snap it together hard.
This is the BEST explanation I've heard so far. Even asking Red Sea directly!
It makes sense.

I believe the Vectras are 90w max and move 2000gph.
So at the watts I'm running them I probably have a flow around 2300gph. (One at 50w and the other at 65w plus the vertical)
The ReefMat specs say up to 2300gph flow.
But you are right. My water level inside the unit is way higher than yours so it makes sense that the level raises and triggers the roll very often.
I'll do some research on what to do. Either raise the ReefMat or bypass some water.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Ironfish

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went away for a few days on business. Got back tonight and scraped the glass and remounted some coral frags. My Reefmat 1200 apparently went crazy since I just checked the log and it ate through 86" of roll today vs 26" each of the last two days. Next time I do a major clean I am going to turn off the Reefmat and run the Marineland Polisher which I will get from Petco tomorrow!
My average roll use is 77 inches daily!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5-6" one-inch wide strip of green painter's tape for the waste spool is the ticket. Eliminates 99.9% of jams and fleece spooling crooked.

My fleece usage is down to under 40" average/daily on recycled fleece rolls.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still better than filter socks, don't forget that

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That smaller roller on the feed side at the top and the two rollers at the bottom above the black plate do not need to be removed. It is very easy to feed the roll under the top one and through the bottom 2 without removing them. Put the new feed roll in place and while you are doing it, slide it between that top roller. Take enough out to wrap around the take up roll and when you do you can feed the roll between the black plate and the two bottom rollers. Drop it in place and twist it so it's locked and move on to the take up roll. I feed the fleece through the take up roll, install it and use the motor to wind it tight. All in all its a 5 minute job.

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the old roll is the worst part by far. I’ve yet to find an easy way to do it. Last time I managed to accidentally push back one of my nails while doing it and it hurt like hell.

The other thing I struggle with is after putting the new roll in and winding it a bit then sticking the part in that goes down into the water over it, I always manage to unravel the roll from the take up side. Takes me a good 4-5 tries.

I’m only changing rolls every 3 months or so, so I don’t get a lot of practice.
I figured out the hack today- wind it around one of the red halves of the take up roll a couple of times before your put it together with the other red half and then wind it around a few more times. Stays in nice and tight!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back