Refractometers

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been building up my equipment for this 90 gallon reef tank I'm currently putting together, and the one thing i am not clear on is the refractometer. I say that because they all look the same, while some are substantially more expensive than others. Are there major differences in quality and reliability between the brands? Also, how do you create an actual build thread that has the link in your signature? I'd like to do that even though the tank is still very much under construction. Thanks!

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been building up my equipment for this 90 gallon reef tank I'm currently putting together, and the one thing i am not clear on is the refractometer. I say that because they all look the same, while some are substantially more expensive than others. Are there major differences in quality and reliability between the brands? Also, how do you create an actual build thread that has the link in your signature? I'd like to do that even though the tank is still very much under construction. Thanks!
I use just a regular old $30ish one from Amazon. The key for me is also calibrating frequently with 35 ppt solution.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use just a regular old $30ish one from Amazon. The key for me is also calibrating frequently with 35 ppt solution.
I've seen them for as low as $12. Are there any differences in quality between a $12 refractometer, and a $30 one?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started back into the hobby I wanted a refractometer that was simple to read and fast. I spent a little bit of money but I would never use anything else now.

BRS sells them but can be found a little cheaper.
IMG_1812.PNG

Very quick and accurate readings without having to guess if what you are seeing is correct.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started back into the hobby I wanted a refractometer that was simple to read and fast. I spent a little bit of money but I would never use anything else now.

BRS sells them but can be found a little cheaper.
IMG_1812.PNG

Very quick and accurate readings without having to guess if what you are seeing is correct.

I'll probably skip the frustration with the cheap ones and just go with one of these. I'm in no rush to get the tank going. I just drilled the thing tonight.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS one gets solid recommendations at a nice price point. There are definitely differences, the Red Sea model has a horrible reputation and has ended up in many reefer's trash can. Get some calibration fluid as well.

I used the BRS for a long time, then upgraded to the Vee Gee. You would be surprised by how many reefers have an issue due to salinity and it takes them a long time to diagnose. Often not till an ICP test.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in the middle of getting a new aquarium up and running. Upgrading to a 120. This tank will be fish only with coral inserts. I've read on here that in order to have your build thread in your posts you have to be a supporting member of the site. I believe it's $25/year and that is one of the perks along with entrance into supporting member only giveaways. Good luck with the build!

San Diego Husky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Milwaukee, before I went cheap and bought a 20 ATO refractometer and became frustrated in calibrating it all the time and second guessing the reading. Even though the Milwaukee costs a lot more, it's worth its weight in gold. Plus why go cheap on something that's so important in the hobby. Too high or low salinity from a bad reading can start a crash, why take that chance.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS one gets solid recommendations at a nice price point. There are definitely differences, the Red Sea model has a horrible reputation and has ended up in many reefer's trash can. Get some calibration fluid as well.

I used the BRS for a long time, then upgraded to the Vee Gee. You would be surprised by how many reefers have an issue due to salinity and it takes them a long time to diagnose. Often not till an ICP test.

I can attest to the Red Sea Refractometer. I have had mine calibrated several times and it is always off. I am definitely ready to ditch and for the record I love most Red Sea products.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably skip the frustration with the cheap ones and just go with one of these. I'm in no rush to get the tank going. I just drilled the thing tonight.

Personally, I would choose a conductivity meter over a digital refractometer. Especially if you're going to be spending $120 or more. Milwaukee's digital refractometer in particular is problematic because it doesn't allow you to calibrate with a standard. You have to calibrate with freshwater. As a result, some users have reported inaccuracy when using the meter against a known standard.

You could always just test a known standard, test your tank, then manually do the math, but this is too tedious for me. Most hobby conductivity meters can be calibrated with a standard, meaning you get the right answer every time. I also have only re-calibrated my Pinpoint conductivity meter once in the two years I owned it. It's very reliable.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would choose a conductivity meter over a digital refractometer. Especially if you're going to be spending $120 or more. Milwaukee's digital refractometer in particular is problematic because it doesn't allow you to calibrate with a standard. You have to calibrate with freshwater. As a result, some users have reported inaccuracy when using the meter against a known standard.

You could always just test a known standard, test your tank, then manually do the math, but this is too tedious for me. Most hobby conductivity meters can be calibrated with a standard, meaning you get the right answer every time. I also have only re-calibrated my Pinpoint conductivity meter once in the two years I owned it. It's very reliable.
My Milwaukee refractometer came with a calibration solution (distilled water) and a verification sample that is 1.025sg to verify calibration.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Milwaukee refractometer came with a calibration solution (distilled water) and a verification sample that is 1.025sg to verify calibration.

Sorry, I should have clarified, the Milwaukee doesn't allow you to calibrate with a salinity or refractive index standard. Calibrating with freshwater is not ideal for refractometers. It doesn't really matter how well a refractometer measures freshwater because at the end of the day, we're not trying to measure freshwater, we're trying to measure seawater. Freshwater calibration should be close enough, but it won't always be 100% accurate. Subtle inaccuracies in the device and wear can cause freshwater calibration to be inaccurate. Calibrating with a known standard will always make sure you're measuring accurately, no matter how much the internal calibration may have shifted.

If your Milwaukee is working fine for you, that's great. Many people have had good success using the Milkwaukee digital refractometer. However, there have been more than a few posts where owners have had accuracy issue because you can only calibrate the device with freshwater. If I'm shelling out over a hundred bucks for a device to measure salinity, I want to be able to calibrate it with a known standard. Plus, I prefer conductivity when measuring salinity over refractive index in general.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I should have clarified, the Milwaukee doesn't allow you to calibrate with a salinity or refractive index standard. Calibrating with freshwater is not ideal for refractometers. It doesn't really matter how well a refractometer measures freshwater because at the end of the day, we're not trying to measure freshwater, we're trying to measure seawater. Freshwater calibration should be close enough, but it won't always be 100% accurate. Subtle inaccuracies in the device and wear can cause freshwater calibration to be inaccurate. Calibrating with a known standard will always make sure you're measuring accurately, no matter how much the internal calibration may have shifted.

If your Milwaukee is working fine for you, that's great. Many people have had good success using the Milkwaukee digital refractometer. However, there have been more than a few posts where owners have had accuracy issue because you can only calibrate the device with freshwater. If I'm shelling out over a hundred bucks for a device to measure salinity, I want to be able to calibrate it with a known standard. Plus, I prefer conductivity when measuring salinity over refractive index in general.
Everyone has their preferred way of testing. As long as I verify and get 1.025 as the solution should be then I will consider it to be accurate. I have read that it is very prone to damage or inaccuracy after being dropped. I'm always very cautious with handling it and keep it in a case when not in use.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the Pinpoint one on accuracy? I had one but it just died suddenly after a few months.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back